Of the People

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Darkniciad
Darkniciad
1,271 Followers

"It's a boy," Laresa sobbed, handing the child to Nathifa.

"He is so beautiful." Nathifa looked up with a wide smile at Laresa, and it was then that she noticed the pain in the genie's eyes. "Laresa, what is wrong?"

"Do not worry about me," Laresa dodged, thankful that Nathifa had released her from the necessity to answer that question. Had she been forced to answer, Laresa would have been bound as Djinn to answer truthfully, and she knew that answer was inappropriate at such a happy moment in Nathifa's life. "I will bring Hawk, so that he may see his son. This is a time for the two of you."

"Laresa..."

"Please, we will speak later. I will bring Hawk."

A small moment of amusement broke through Laresa's melancholy when Hawk stumbled at the entrance to his teepee, hurrying to see his new son. It was the only time Laresa had noticed even the slightest hint of clumsiness in the always well-balanced Brave.

The moment passed as Hawk moved inside, and Laresa could hear the cries of the baby. Many in the village were awake, none wanting to miss this joyous occasion, though the hour was late. Laresa walked into her teepee, the one she had once shared with Nathifa, and then used her magic to move somewhere else.

The high hilltop offered a magnificent view of the surrounding land. A bear with a bad reputation in the area meant that few, if any, ever came near the hill. Laresa had discovered the spot soon after arriving here, and it was her chosen place to get away, when she felt the need.

The stars were bright, and the wind calm. Laresa could hear the sounds of squirrels and other animals moving about, preparing once again for the coming winter, as summer slipped away. Lying down in the grass, she stared up at the stars, trying to relax and calm her mind. The last thing she wanted to do was intrude upon Nathifa's happiness with her pain.

"You are troubled."

The voice startled Laresa, and she scrambled to her feet, eyes darting about until they fell upon the brave approaching from behind her. She could sense nothing from the man, and that alarmed Laresa greatly. To her genie senses, he did not exist, and yet he was there, stopping a few feet away to look at her in curiosity.

Wary and irritated that someone was intruding upon her desired solitude, Laresa asked, "Who are you?"

The Brave spread his hands in a sort of encompassing gesture. "I am one who is curious about you."

"You are not mortal; I cannot sense your thoughts." Only fear of bringing danger to the tribe stopped Laresa from returning to the village to get away from this odd man. She quickly considered options, thinking that she might go elsewhere, and see if he followed. That could leave the village in danger, however.

"True, but you need not concern yourself with the safety of the People, or your own safety. As I said, curiosity drew me to you. You will not find what you seek here, but that knowledge is already with you, is it not?"

While Laresa could not read this man's mind, his words revealed that her thoughts, and feelings, were bared to him. She was not fond of the vulnerable feeling that roused within her — at all. "You wish me to leave, then?"

"You seek to protect the People. I find this pleasing. I feel your conflict, however."

"I don't want to intrude on Nathifa's happiness, but I cannot ignore my own pain," Laresa said softly.

"And what you seek cannot be found in this place and time. This is but a step in your journey."

"What do I seek, then, and where can it be found?"

The Brave smiled. "This, I cannot reveal to you. Even as you are bound, so are we. There must be order — limits — or all descends into chaos. Destiny guides you, Djinn, heed its call."

With those words, the man blurred into the form of a coyote, and loped off, vanishing into the night.

Laresa was left alone with her troubled thoughts.

()o~~~~***~~~~o()

Nathifa hugged the silver-haired Djinn, tears running down her cheeks. "Why didn't you say something, Laresa? Why did you not tell me of your pain?"

"I thought I could endure it, lock it away. I did so for centuries, but I find I can no longer forget as I once did. I was happy here, and I do not wish to leave you, but I must seek my own freedom, in order to find true happiness, as you have. I don't believe I can find that here, in this place and time."

Sniffling, Nathifa said, "I do not wish for you to go."

Laresa stiffened, knowing that she must leave. The last thing she wanted to do was hurt Nathifa, however.

Nathifa continued, "But I wish for your happiness, and you cannot find that here. I understand that, although I will miss you terribly."

"I could take your memories of me, so that they would not trouble you," Laresa offered.

Shaking her head, Nathifa said, "No, I wish to remember every moment of our time together. Even if all others must forget, I would remember you, Laresa. The longing is a small price to pay for the memories we share, the lessons I have learned at your side."

"I would remember as well, and I wish to know what has come before," Hawk added.

"I would like to tell him, Laresa."

Laresa nodded. "There should be no secrets between you."

Taking Hawk's hand, seeking comfort in his touch, Nathifa took a deep breath. "This is so difficult. I know what I must do, but my heart aches."

"Remember me, and I will always be with you, as you will be with me," Laresa said, laying her hand on the joined hands of the couple. Concentrating, Laresa brought her power to bear. "The tribe will not remember me now, so as not to confuse them when I am gone."

"Goodbye, Laresa, my friend. May you find freedom and peace."

"Goodbye, Nathifa, my friend. May you always know peace and joy, for all your days."

Closing her eyes, and taking yet another long, slow breath, Nathifa whispered, "I wish for you to find a new Master, a Master who will treat you with love and respect, and lead you on the path to your freedom."

Laresa transformed into misty vapors, returning to her ring. The ring vanished, hurtling across space and time, in accordance with Nathifa's heartfelt wish.

()o~~~~***~~~~o()

I hope you've enjoyed this story! Do take a moment to vote, and perhaps send feedback, won't you?

Big thanks to Roust for editing, as always, and to Red for letting me borrow Laresa to finish Nathifa's story outside the chain. I may continue filling the gaps between Ch. 15 and 16, because the character "Dark Beast" Severus mentions in his story is forming up nicely in my mind. I may even explore Laresa's enslavement to the Nazis, as I feel the need to show what Laresa dealt with to bring out the bitterness eating at her in Ch. 16

Darkniciad
Darkniciad
1,271 Followers