In the Year of Our Lord, 1684

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Tony155
Tony155
1,227 Followers

Ingrid had consented to having a special gown made for her for the coronation. Marta and Xenia had taken a special liking towards her and felt as if they had almost gained a sister. It was they who insisted upon the gown and made arrangements with their seamstress for the material and fitting. It was a deep red gown, almost purple in color that accentuated her shapely hips and modest bust. It was exquisitely made and Ingrid looked beautiful in it.

Although their time together during the day was limited, casual strolls in the garden or carriage rides became a staple in their evening plans. The week went by quickly as they knew it would and the day finally came for the coronation of King Gregor II.

It was a gorgeous summer morning as the brilliant rays shown through Gregor's window. He had spent most of the morning in deep thought as he reviewed the ceremony and the short speech he had prepared. He had chosen a simple, light weight crown his great grandfather, King Nicolas III, had used for his coronation. Gregor wanted nothing overly fancy for this ceremony, plus this crown fit him the best. He certainly did not want a crown to fall over his eyes repeatedly. That would be too embarrassing and Gregor loathed to be embarrassed.

Ingrid would not be part of this ceremony. She would not ride with him to the cathedral, nor would she walk with him. It would not have mattered if they were already married. It was entirely Gregor's day.

Gregor rode to the cathedral in a brilliant white carriage pulled by six white horses. He was dressed in a white military uniform with medals attached representing his being the commander of the Ruudanian army. It was a breezy day and Gregor's wavy black hair flowed with the wind as they rode. Marta and Xenia occupied the second carriage, while Ingrid and Helga rode in a third.

The streets were lined three and four deep with shouts of "Long live Gregor!" and "God bless the king!". Banners were hung, flags were waved, and music was played. The cheering was deafening at times when Gregor waved to the bystanders as he did often along the route. Ingrid was very impressed with everything for she had little recollection of her father's coronation. She was but four years old at the time.

Gregor solemnly climbed the steps with his family following. The archbishop waited for him at the entrance and welcomed him. After an opening prayer, they walked together down the aisle to the steps in front of the altar, where Gregor kneeled.

Ingrid looked around and thought there were almost as many people in the cathedral as there was for Aleksander's funeral. She and Helga were seated behind Marta and Xenia, who occupied the first row.

If Gregor was nervous, he did not show it. He and Ingrid had little contact that morning except for a brief hug before departing the castle. He stared at her for several seconds as she simply took his breath away in her new gown.

"You are beautiful beyond words, my love," he had said softly. Ingrid could only blush with pride with his words singing in her heart.

The ceremony would be religious in nature for Ruudanians believed their king to be chosen by God and because of this, their king was thought to be almost infallible. The coronation began with the archbishop giving Ruudania and Gregor a blessing. After several incantations and prayers, he stood before Gregor and recited the names of all of the kings who preceded him centuries before to the present. He started with Gustav I and ended with Aleksander IV.

When he finished, he asked Gregor, "Do you, Gregor Aleksander Illiavich, wish to continue the works of your predecessors and be Father of all Ruudania?"

Gregor answered in a clear voice, "Yes, I wish to be Father of Ruudania."

"By God's will, it will be so." The archbishop reached behind him and took the necklace he had removed from Aleksander and held it before him. He blessed it, showed it to the audience, and then carefully placed it around Gregor's neck.

For the first time, Gregor felt nervous as the heavy necklace was draped around him. His father had worn it so well and the young prince hoped he could be as good a leader. He wished he could look at Ingrid because he knew by seeing her face, she would help put his fears to rest.

Next, the archbishop picked up the crown and held it above his head for all to see. He blessed it and then gave it to Gregor, who placed it on his head. He then stood and faced the people. As he looked out, he saw his sisters and Ingrid. Marta and Xenia were solemn, but Ingrid was smiling at him. In her eyes, even from that distance, he could see them sparkling with love for him.

The archbishop said more prayers and blessed Gregor once more. He then stood beside him and announced, "God's will has blessed us with a new Father. God bless King Gregor II. Long live the king!!"

The people answered in unison, "Long live the king!!", before applauding thunderously.

Gregor smiled slightly as the applause continued. He looked to Ingrid and she was applauding also, her smile greater than he could remember. They had learned a great deal about each other over the past week and he would marry her that very day except for the preparations needed. A king's marriage was almost as grand as the coronation itself.

The applause lasted several minutes before Gregor raised his hands to quiet them. "My fellow citizens," he began, "it is with a heavy heart that I humbly accept the fate which has been bestowed upon me. As with my fathers before me, I welcome the task set in front of me and know I will follow in my father's footsteps to govern to the best of my ability. He set a firm foundation and I intend to strengthen it in the years to come. Know that the interests of the people and the country come before my own and when I join my father and mother, this country will be a better place to live. With your prayers and blessings, God will show me the correct path so that all with prosper."

The crowd once again erupted in applause. Gregor followed the archbishop down the aisle as men bowed and women curtsied as he passed. His sisters followed, as did Ingrid and Helga. When they hit the sunlight outside the cathedral, Gregor was met with a large crowd who broke into deafening applause and shouts of joy. The bells of the grand church were ringing deliriously. After being lead to his carriage, Gregor was slowly paraded through the streets of Ruudania where well wishers greeted him with cheers and applause.

An hour later, a small banquet was held at the castle for Gregor's closest friends and family. He did not feel a great ball was in order so shortly after his father's funeral. Although he wished to remove his crown, custom dictated he wear it until sunset. He was very glad he chose a small crown for he surely would have received a headache with anything heavier.

"Your speech was wonderful," Ingrid remarked as they dined.

"It was from the heart," he replied.

"That was what made it so wonderful."

Gregor smiled and squeezed her hand. "You look absolutely radiant today, my dear. If you looked any better, I would swear it was our wedding day."

"You are too kind with your compliments, Gregor. I think perhaps you have had too many spirits because your tongue has become silly."

Gregor frowned and looked at his goblet. "How can my tongue be silly when I have drank nothing but water?" He pushed the goblet to her. "Sniff and taste, my dear. Is fermented water in season?" he joked.

Ingrid giggled softly. She loved his sense of humor. She loved even more the way he looked at her and the beautiful compliments he bestowed upon her. "No," she replied, still laughing, "I do not believe fermented water is in season. It must be something you are eating."

"It is nothing different than what you have consumed. I do not believe you take my compliments seriously, my love. Perhaps I should say nothing if you feel they are frivolous."

Ingrid's eyes widened. "Oh no, Gregor! Please do not stop. I adore your compliments. They always make me feel loved. Please continue to shower me with them."

"It is done," he said while slapping the table with the palm of his hand. "I will compliment your beauty forever."

"And what else will you compliment?"

"What else, what else," he said thoughtfully while stroking his chin. "Your kindness," he said. "Your sharp tongue, your beautiful eyes, your soft hair, your...."

Ingrid listened and smiled as Gregor extolled her virtues. How could God have blessed her so much to have sent him to her? Was she worthy enough to deserve such a man?

"....your laugh, your gentle touch, your..."

Her love for him was growing deeper and deeper and she could only wonder how she could love him any more than at that moment. She then noticed he had stopped and was staring at her.

"Why did you stop?" she asked. "Pray, do tell me more."

"I would not want your head to get too big. I would not want to have to have all the doorways reconfigured so that you could walk through them."

"You are terrible, Gregor," she laughed.

"I would say more, but then I would only be guessing."

"Guessing?"

Gregor leaned over and whispered, "I could compliment you on how you would look and feel on our wedding night, but I will not know until then." He winked and squeezed her hand.

"I will try to fulfill your imagination," she whispered back as her abdomen fluttered.

"My imagination is quite vivid right now." And his imagination was causing movement below his waist. Luckily, any view was obscured by the grand tablecloth.

"Youareterrible. Are you sure you have not touched the spirits?"

Gregor laughed heartily and kissed her cheek. "I am sure, my love. If anything, I am drunk in my love for you."

"I can forgive you for that," she retorted.

"I am sure you could."

By early evening, all of the revelers had left and the servants were cleaning the ballroom. Ingrid and Gregor strolled the garden arm in arm and stopped in a small clearing.

"This is where the pond will be," he explained. "I want birds from all over to come and enjoy it."

"It will remind me of home," Ingrid said.

"Exactly."

"You are so kind to think of me and Kesse."

Gregor shrugged his shoulders. It was easy for him to think of her feelings first now. It was now his responsibility to put other's needs and wants before his, be it the country or his family. It was something he embraced and accepted.

"I wish you could stay here instead of returning home. October seems so far away." Gregor clasped his hands behind him. "It seems as if I need you more and more with each passing day. You make my life complete, now more than ever."

"I still have another week here, Gregor. Let us make the most of it and try not to think of our time apart. I believe it will go by quickly what with all the preparations and planning ahead. Mother has already commissioned several seamstresses for my gown."

"I hope it is a heavy gown," Gregor said. "October can be cool that time of year."

"No more so than Kesse. If you have not consulted a map recently, we are north of you."

Gregor smiled broadly. "My dear, you are going to keep me on my toes with that quick wit and sharp tongue of yours. What will I do with you?"

"Love me forever," she replied.

"I was about to say that."

"Of course you were."

They moved away from the clearing and followed a path which would eventually lead them to the Zaxon river, over ten miles away. They had no intention of roaming that far, but a half mile to and fro was what Gregor had in mind. Hands held loosely together, they meandered through the knotted pines and wild flowers.

"If I did not have to live in that castle, I should like to build a small home and live in this wood," he remarked. "Sometimes, the simplest life is the best. I could hunt and fish any time I liked."

"You could do that anyway if you wished," Ingrid said. "You have a hunting lodge northeast of here, do you not?"

"Yes, but it will be difficult to get away for more than a day or two at a time. Besides, it still holds some bad memories."

"Your brother?"

"Yes."

"You do not speak of either one very often. Is it too painful?"

"Some times are more difficult than others," he admitted. "Sergei and I were never particularly close even though he was only a few years older. I was closer to Ivan. His death was such a shame."

"And Sergei's was not?" she dared to ask.

"Sergei was a drunken sot who did not have any more sense than the squirrels in these trees," he answered bitterly. "He was death waiting to happen. Ivan had no choice in the matter."

"I see," Ingrid answered softly. She had no idea Gregor had such strong feelings against his middle brother. "Perhaps we should talk about less painful subjects."

"Maybe I need to talk about it more," Gregor concluded. "Perhaps I am still angry for being left behind to take over."

"Being king of Ruudania does not appeal to you?"

"No, no, that is not what I meant at all to say. I am ready to be king and I will do it, but it was meant for Ivan, not me. Then, it should have been Sergei's, but you know the story of him. It is God's will that I am king and nothing can change that." He glanced at the setting sun and then to Ingrid, who had a perplexed look upon her face. "Sometimes, I am not as simple as I pretend to be, my love. I have doubts and weaknesses just like any other man."

"I think you have already forgiven Ivan for dying because it was an accident, but you cannot find it in your heart to forgive Sergei. Is that true?"

Gregor sighed and shrugged his shoulders. "Father said you were wise the first day he met you. You have simplified my problem a lot quicker than I ever could. No, I cannot forgive him and I do not know if I ever will. Our family was already reeling from mother's death and he added to our grief. We loved her too, but we did not drown ourselves in spirits to mourn her. It was shortly after his death that father began having his ailments. I can only conclude that one event led to another."

"Perhaps it was your mother's death which began his health problems. Maybe he would have had sickness anyway if Sergei lived."

"I do not know, Ingrid," he sighed. "I really do not wish to speak of Sergei anymore. It is very tiring."

"I understand," Ingrid said, "but may I say one more thing on the matter and I promise never to bring it up again."

Gregor looked into her eyes and saw concern and care. He could even see a bit of sadness there, something he never liked to see in her. It hurt him to think perhaps he was the cause of her distress. "Please, speak your mind," he said after a long silence.

Slowly and carefully, she said, "Think about how angry and hurt you still feel towards him. He sounds as if he were a poor, wretched person who needed understanding and pity, not hate and loathing. Find it in your heart to forgive him and I think you will be able to think of him in a better way."

"That is easier said than done, my dear," he replied. Gregor saw the disappointment on her face. "But, for your sake," he added, I will do my best to forgive him."

Ingrid broke into a smile that lit her face. "Thank you, Gregor," she said before hugging him. "You will feel better for it."

"I hope you are correct," he replied as he continued to hold her.

The rest of the week flew by and before Ingrid knew what was happening, it was time for her to return to Kesse. Gregor was kept busy with governing issues and receiving various dignitaries. He settled minor squabbles amongst his ministers, something his father had foretold and delegated powers to those in need of such.

It was a somewhat cool August morning, unusual for that time of year, when Gregor and his regiment escorted Ingrid and her mother to the pier. The tears had dried from the previous evening when Ingrid, by her own admission, made a fool of herself as she buried her face and cried hysterically in Gregor's chest. Once she regained her composure, she apologized profusely for her childish behavior and was stoic the rest of the evening.

At the pier, Ingrid gamely fought her emotions once more as they stood alone. Helga had already said her goodbye and had boarded the ship.

"I am so sorry again for last night," she said softly. "I was dreadful and it was wrong of me to carry on as I did. Please forgive me?" Her eyes pleaded for his answer.

"All was forgiven last night, my love. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to leave," he answered. "I think something would be wrong if you were not sad." He smoothed a stray tear from her cheek with a tender kiss.

"There, there, my dear Ingrid," he said as he held her face in his hands, "you will be back in four weeks for the final preparations and three weeks after that, we will be married. Then, I want to see nothing but tears of joy coming from those beautiful eyes."

"You will see plenty of those, I promise you." Ingrid looked to the ship where the captain appeared anxious to leave. "I will write to you every week. The couriers will tire of my letters."

Gregor laughed. "And mine will tire also, but they will be paid handsomely for their troubles!" He drew her close and kissed her. "Ah, my sweet Ingrid, you must go before the captain wears a path on his deck from his pacing."

"I know, but I really do not want to leave you." Her voice trembled with emotion.

"We have been through this already," he said gently.

Ingrid nodded her head. "No more tears from me," she said in a stronger voice. "I love you, my darling. I simply adore you." She leaned forward and kissed him once more.

Gregor let her go and she slowly walked up the ramp and into the ship, looking back briefly to blow a kiss to him. Gregor smiled and waved until she disappeared and the ramp was drawn up.

VII.

They had decided against an engagement ball when Ingrid returned in September although King Wilhelm and Gregor's ministers thought it best to go ahead with it. Gregor felt uneasy about a gala so close to his father's death and his own solemn coronation. The national month of mourning for his father had passed, yet neither he or Ingrid felt it was appropriate.

The month apart was not good for either one as Ingrid kept true to her word by writing every week. Gregor wrote back also and this communication helped sustain them in their loneliness. Ingrid re-read his letters more than once and would set off to immediately reply while her thoughts were fresh in her memory.

It was after one such writing session when she made a discovery about which she could tell no one. It was in the evening, a hot, sticky one at that, when Ingrid decided a cool bath would be in order. Her return letter to Gregor was freshly sealed in an envelope and was sitting on her writing table.

A bath was drawn for her and she dismissed the young servant girl. This was not unusual for her since she rarely wanted help bathing or dressing. With thoughts of Gregor wafting through her mind, Ingrid slipped out of her clothes and stepped into the bath. It was perfect and she made a mental note to thank the girl for it.

Perfumed oil had already been added and Ingrid slid down until only the tops of her breasts and above were showing. She rested there for a few minutes and took in the musky scent the oil was leaving. Those wonderful fluttering feelings soon came as she thought of Gregor and his kisses. Oh, how she missed him so! Lazily, she began to bathe beginning with her face, neck, and arms as she continued to think about her love. The cool water felt wonderful against her skin as it fell over her and returned to the tub.

She straightened up and began to wash her breasts, gently scrubbing the delicate skin surrounding her nipples. While she washed, however, she accidently brushed her left nipple with the wash cloth sending a shiver through her that seemed to go straight down to her thighs. She was puzzled by the feeling for she never experienced it before. It felt good, yet she did not know what to make of it. Letting go of the cloth, she touched the nipple with her right index finger. By then, it had become much firmer than its counterpart. Another pleasurable shiver went through her. Instinct told her she was doing something improper, but she ignored propriety for the pleasure she gained. She missed her Gregor and she remembered what sensations his kisses gave her. This simple touching elicited the same feelings, so she felt she was doing nothing wrong.

Tony155
Tony155
1,227 Followers
1...678910...12