Choices: Someone to Watch Over Me

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I thought you two were in bed asleep." I managed to say to them once I had got my emotions under control. "Come on, I'll take you back up."

"No, Roger, I'll do it. I've got to get used to looking after them." Dee said as she extracted herself from my embrace. "Come on, girls, we've got lots to talk about."

--------------------------------------

Katherine worked miracles and a month later was our wedding day. Russell and I got to the church early and I asked him to wait whilst I had a word with Shirley. I walked over to her grave alone.

"Well, girl, you set me up good and proper, didn't you. Now this was your idea so I don't want you getting upset with me over it. I think you're right though; Dee will make a great mother for the girls. Look, Shirley, you do realise what you've done here. Dee is going to want some children of her own sometime, so don't you dare hold it against me when we get all cosy with each other. Well, I'd better go now but I'll be back with the girls in a couple of weeks. Dee and I are going away tomorrow for a week or so. But I'll tell you all about it when we get back. Bye for now, babe."

Ten minutes later I was standing before that same alter again. Only this time I'd changed places with Russell. I've got to admit I was surprised that my family, without exception, had all turned out. I think that was Katherine's doing; she can be a very persuasive woman when she wants to be.

The thing I was curious about was, that eight of my workers were all dressed in identical new suits. Most unusual for that lot, unless they got a job lot from somewhere, which I doubted. They were sitting on the ends of the pews by the aisles, not with their respective loved ones. I smelt a rat; they were up to something.

As the service ended all eight of them got up and left the church before Dee and I had started the parade out. As we walked through the main door, the guys, standing in two neat lines confronted us. Long handled shovels at the shoulder. Someone called out a command and the shovels were first placed at the present and then into a line of arches for Dee and I to walk under.

"You buggers!" I said to them as we stopped under the arches, whilst the photographer took pictures.

"We ain't finished yet, Rog!" one of them said under his breath in reply. I wondered what the buggers had planned next.

Then we had the normal photo call. During the photo call, Dee came into possession of a large bouquet of flowers. When the photographer had finished and we began to make our way toward the waiting limousine, Dee suddenly stopped.

"Will you wait here for me a moment, Roger, there's something I've got to do. Now please don't move."

I stood and watched as Dee walked over to Shirley's grave, and placed the bouquet she was holding on it alongside the one I'd left there before the wedding service. For a few moments she stood there alone. I could tell she was saying something. But I, like everyone else could not hear what she said. I figured it was private, between her and Shirley. Then she signalled to my girls who joined her and placed their small bouquets on their mother's grave as well. Now I realised where the three bouquets came from at Estelle's wedding. Obvious if I'd only thought about it.

Once Dee rejoined me, we continued our way towards the limousine only to see it move away as we got near. It was replaced by my old Bedford van. The last time I'd seen it was three weeks before when they guys decided our yard needed a clean up, I thought it had gone to the breakers yard.

Now it stood there looking better than I think I'd ever seen it. Bright new paint work, ribbons hanging from the ladders mounted on the roof rack and a liveried chauffeur at the wheel. The boys opened the sliding side door; they had kited the back out with a sofa for Dee and I to sit on.

"It's a convertible, boss! If you get impatient just pull the lever under the arm and you've got a bed." One of the boys whispered to me, with a smile on his face.

With smiles all round, Dee and I climbed inside. The sliding door was locked in the open position for the short drive to the hotel where the reception was being held.

-------------------------------------------------

That night Dee and I spent our first night together as man and wife. I awoke at some unearthly hour in the morning to the sound of Dee sobbing.

"What's wrong, babe?" I asked. What a stupid inane way to ask her.

"Nothing. I'm just so happy, but I'm annoyed with myself for how I behaved towards you. I thought you would wait forever."

"Well, we're together forever now, so stop dwelling on the past," I said as I took her in my arms and kissed her.

Our past was never mentioned again. The girls started calling Dee Mother very quickly. I noted they only ever called Dee "mother" and never "mummy", as that was what they'd called Shirley. Whose idea the difference was, I don't know. But I would often hear Dee ask the girls how mummy would do this or that. Dee would always do as Shirley had, before her.

------------------------------------------------------

Several years were to pass before that train sounded its whistle in that tunnel again. We had all settled down to watch a video one evening when the telephone rang. Our eldest answered it, whilst I paused the video.

"Who's calling?" I heard my daughter ask.

"Mother, it's for you. Someone called Porticia."

Dee took the telephone from my daughter and after pressing the speakerphone function replaced the handset.

"Hi, Tish. How are you keeping?"

"Oh, Dee, how wonderful to hear your voice. Dee, I'm in a real state. I caught George running around on me, so I'm getting divorced. I really could do with meeting up with you for a chat. You know, we could get together like the old times."

"Well, yes, I suppose I could meet you and we could do lunch, Tish. Hold on a moment whilst I check my diary," Dee said as she picked up her handbag.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Dee was going to get back with Porticia. Dee saw the amazed expression on my face and smiled at me.

"What's the date today?" Dee asked no one in particular.

"The third of August," came Porticia's dismembered voice from the phone.

"How about the sixth of August 2026?" Dee said. "I might be free that day."

"Did you say 2026, Dee? That's twenty years away. You must be joking!" Porticia replied.

"No, Tish, I'm quite serious. All of our three children should be out of the house by then, so I should be able to find some time to do lunch with you."

"Three children! I thought Roger only had two?"

"No, actually Roger and I have two and a bit at the moment. There is a chance it could well be two and two bits. After all, twins do run in my family. Goodbye, Porticia, give me a call in about twenty years. With any luck we'll have changed our phone number by then."

Dee switched off the telephone, and then sat back in her chair staring at me, with a silly grin on her face. Our two girls were quicker on the up-take than I was, and they started to laugh.

Suddenly I realised what Dee had just said to Porticia.

"Twin's?" I asked

"Well, that's what the doctor thinks, but it's a little early to be sure yet." Dee replied. "I was hoping to know for sure, before I told you and the girls."

Life goes on.