Various Valentines

Poem Info
285 words
5
2k
0
Poem does not have any tags
Share this Poem

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I.
Alternate Ending

In the final decade of man’s existence, people take up smoking again, compete to deflower remaining virgins. Meanwhile, a miniscule subculture—recovering addicts, nuns from defunct orders, former self-mutilators, and precocious children—embarks on a monumental project. They cover the inundated globe with water-lilies hearty enough to outlast their cultivators.
II.
Feeling Inside the Box

20,000 of you are inside the box with a Pizza Hut, two first-run theaters and a mental hospital with one prescribing physician. Outside the box is sand, the sound of mortar. On Christmas, your wives telephone to confess their infidelities. Still, you could take yourselves on a fine date: dinner, a movie, Prozac.

III.
Caught on Tape

At the push of a button, the lithe algorithm sidles up to the processor and makes it do its dance. Data swim through equations, fertilizing variables. There’s a voice behind all of this, the word holy repeated several times, though no one’s bothered to translate it. Men gather round the screen to watch their monster being born as math.

IV.
All Realism is Science Fiction

On the day that they gave her someone else’s face, she used the stranger’s lips to kiss the one she had secretly loved since childhood. She had reckoned on the scars, of course, and the pain, the patchwork way she would look, but she had not anticipated the aftertaste of courage left in the dead woman’s mouth.

V.
No Love Lost

Entropy may be the macro reality, but there are consolations: energy, for example, is like Saul converted. Why not the output of the heart? Here, then, is love as she transacts: broken flower pot, slaughtered pet, reams of regrettable prose, and other, better varieties of love.

Please rate this poem
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
5 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
~

Yes, very engaging, held me the whole way through and back again- thanks for sharing!

~as

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Very engaging

LittleMinna is back! Welcome, and hang around awhile!

I particularly enjoyed IV and V but each valentine was a delight to pore over, like discovering the hearts and flowers in I. And anyone that uses "data" as a plural noun gets a candy kiss from me!

Fly

LiarLiarover 18 years ago
Prose poetry flash fiction?

Yes, why not? All effective snippets telling just about enough of just about the right things to come alive. I'd love to see all those embryos of stories framed by a single novel or novella frame. I'd read it.

TheRainManTheRainManover 18 years ago
What an interesting prose poem!

Different from your others (the few you have shared . . . are you stingy, or is it that you just don't write enough?).

Your comfort and grace in using this form tells me you are far from an inexperienced writer (though that was already obvious from your poems). The language is very well-handled, as are the thought patterns -- both mature, writing-wise.

This was a fine read, hidden as are all the gems here, among jagged rocks. How nice to come across one to actually read more than once every now and then.

Hey, how about posting poems a little more often? Your writing makes me greedy.

TzaraTzaraover 18 years ago
All of these are interesting...

...number IV is superb. I very much liked the different style.

Thanks! Write more. All of your work is very good.

Share this Poem