Uninvited

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Not much. Mostly work stuff. I've been traveling a lot lately." Grace chuckled softly, "I often tell my friends that I don't have time for a boyfriend."

James' heart leapt, "No boyfriend? Surely you mean you don't have time to spend with your boyfriend."

"No. I don't have one. Let's just say I'm a bit too much for them."

"Oh come now, surely..."

Grace halted and looked at him, eyes wide, "There is nosurely, James. It seems I'm not the type men look for." For a split second, James saw bitterness in her eyes. Thinking back to that day in Kara's library, he realized that Grace was the only one not coupled with anyone in the picture.It's a shame she doesn't have a man in her life, Kara said.

James took her hand, "Aren't you being a little hard on yourself?"

Grace looked down, feeling his eyes on her. What was that she saw in them? Longing? Did he figure out her secret desire for him? All day, she had masked herself and tried to just be next to him. A moment ago, he somehow tapped into the one thing that made her feel vulnerable. She knew now that he was taking notice of her. But why did the one thing she want scare her?

"Grace?" James squeezed her hand in his own. She had fallen silent and he became frightened. Did he hit a nerve? Had he closed the door on his chance? He took her other hand as well. "Gracie, are you okay?"

"I'm fine, James. I, uh," she sputtered trying to find her words. Looking back up, she wondered if his eyes had ever left her. Now that she had his attention, she couldn't bear it. "I'm just not good at taking compliments. Thank you." She removed her hands from his grasp. Before he could protest, she began walking again, "We'd better get in. Dinner will be ready soon."

James stood in the garden and watched her disappear into the shadows of sunset and into the house. In that short thirty seconds, both James and Grace thought they would die from the ache in their hearts.

Grace was pretty subdued at dinner. James figured he was crowding her, so he took a seat at the opposite end of the table. Except for a few minor cracks at a political figure, she kept to herself. She excused herself from the table saying that she was tired. After wishing everyone good night, Grace stood under the warm shower and tried to make sense of it all. So far, James was everything she had imagined and more. Now she was running scared. Deep down she knew he was what she wanted. Logical Grace kept popping up and reminding her of the age difference and the fact that up until today, James was a silhouette in her mind.Why am I being so damned cautious? Grace flopped down onto the bed and stared at the ceiling.Okay, so what? He's older. Big deal.James obviously felt something for her. She saw the hurt look in his face as she broke away from him in the garden. She also knew that James made her feel different. Falling into a fitful sleep, Grace continued to fight within.

The next morning brought new hope to James. Last night, he felt like an idiot prowling just outside Grace's door after everyone had gone to bed. He desperately wanted to mend whatever fence he broke with her, but couldn't bring himself to knock on the door. What was he going to do? She distanced herself after their sunset walk, as if terrified of him. Stalking back to his room, James made up his mind. Their moment in the garden showed him what he needed to do. He would chase Grace, even if it cost him everything.

After morning services in the family chapel, Mia announced that she was going into town to shop. This prompted the household to agree and spend a day in the village of Falmouth. As large as the party was, three cars were commandeered in order to transport everyone. Kara and Grace quickly rounded up the children and portioned them off amongst the vehicles. When it came time to depart, all that was left was for Kara and Grace to strap in. James moved to the young women standing in the driveway. "Okay ladies, there are two seats left. One seat in Nathan's van and one in the Mustang with me. Kara, why don't you..."

"Why don't you go ahead and ride with James, Grace?" Grace did not reply and James' heart sank. Kara grabbed Grace's arm. "I need to keep an eye on my rug rats anyway. You two enjoy the drive down!" Before Grace could protest any further, Kara bolted and got into the van with her parents.

James stared at his niece. Was he mistaken, or did she just wink at him while pushing her best friend towards him? Kara stuck her head out of the car window and yelled. "Hey, don't do anything I wouldn't do Uncle Jamie!"

James made a mental note to leave a sizeable chunk of money to Kara when he died. Turning back around, he caught the vision that was Grace. Today, she wore a pale yellow sun dress and a pair of white ballerina flats. As far as James was concerned, she was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen.

"Well, Gracie. I guess it's just us."

"It would seem that way, wouldn't it?"

"Listen, I don't know why you took off out of the garden. But whatever it was, I'm sorry." James opened the door to the car as a gesture of peace. "I enjoy your company and I hope you can forgive me. Now, let's go enjoy the town, okay?"

A smile spread across Grace's face. Hopping into the convertible, she commented, "There's nothing to forgive James. Besides, how can I refuse a ride in a classic like this?"

Falmouth's scenery was perfect. As they cruised down the road, James pointed out the cranberry farms that made the area famous. Grace, wind in her hair, admired the houses and historical monuments on the way. James was gracious enough to stop for a moment along the coast so she could snap a picture of a lighthouse in the bay. They caught up with the rest of their party in the town center. After a light lunch at the Coonamessett Inn, the group split up and shopped.

James and Grace ended up walking around with Mia and Nathan in and out of the various stores and boutiques. Straggling behind them, James told Grace about his childhood and growing up during summers at the Cape. Grace thrilled in hearing about his life and accepted his hand when he offered it to her to hold while crossing the street. In comfortable companionship, they traveled down the sunny streets of the village. At one point, Mia and Grace wandered into a local jewelry shop while James and Nathan haggled with an old family friend for a couple of cigars in a shop next door.

Mia was contemplating a bracelet, when Nathan wrapped his arms around her saying, "Whatever you want Mia dearest, you deserve it." Grace watched the light in Mia's eyes dance as she showed the bracelet to her husband. I hope that I can be that happy one day,she thought turning to a nearby case of necklaces.

"Is there anything that catches your eye, Miss?" The clerk was in the process of opening the case. Grace shook her head.

"Oh no, I was just-"

"She was just trying to decide what she wants," James' deep, resonant voice startled her from behind. Catching herself, she turned to him. His hazel eyes were on her face, "Well, Gracie, pick something. My treat."

"I-I, oh, I couldn't." Turning back around, she stared at the clerk as if to ask for his help in getting her out of this situation. James was insistent.

"You have helped me out of so many times this year. This is the least I could do for you." He stood next to her and touched her arm, "Please, Grace. You will insult me if you don't." Electricity shot up her arm where he touched her. The look on his face was quite sincere, and Grace felt her heart melt. Her eyes scanned the glass case. Looking from item to item, Grace couldn't decide. She was trying very hard not to abuse his generosity and hoped to stall long enough to find an excuse not to buy anything.

"Choose something Grace," he said putting his arm around her and then letting go. "Make an old man happy, will you?"

"You are hardly old James Owens," Mia chimed in. She and Nathan had completed their purchases. "Possibly insane, but not old. And what are you two up to?"

"I simply want to give Grace a token of my thanks for all her help. But she seems to think that none of it is deserved."

"Oh Gracie, you are too sweet." Mia leaned over and whispered in her ear, "Let him do what he wants, honey. You deserve it." A coy look developed on Mia's face. "Well, you two duke it out. Nathan and I are going to meet up with the rest of the group and head back to the house. We'll see you at dinner!" Grace helplessly watched as Mia and Nathan took off, leaving her alone with James.

James nudged her, "Well, I'm waiting." Grace looked up at him. His eyes pleading with her silently. Taking his hand, she turned back to the glass case. In the very corner, she spotted it. On a thin sterling silver chain it hung.

She pointed to the object. "That one. The little silver starfish in the corner."

"Excellent choice, Miss," the clerk remarked. The clerk and James quickly worked to finish the sale. In no time, they were out on the street again heading back to the car. On the way back, James went inside the local grocery to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner. Grace told him that she would meet him at the car a block up.

When she got into the car, she opened the bag from the jewelry store and took out the box. Grace fingered the delicate sterling piece and felt a warm glow envelope her. It seemed silly, but the small gift meant a lot to her. Grace wondered though, why James was so insistent in buying her the necklace. Remember his pleading look, she mulled over what it meant.

"You really picked out something nice, Grace." James was standing outside the car looking at her with those wonderful eyes.

"Well, thank you again for the generous gift. I still don't think I deserve it." She watched him get into the car, admiring how nicely he filled out his khaki pants and tailored button down shirt. James always seemed to be so put together.

"Well too bad Miss Gracie, I believe you do deserve it. And my opinion is the one that matters right now." Taking the box out of her hands he removed the necklace. "Turn around, you need to be wearing this." Grace turned and lifted her bobbed hair. Fumbling with the clasp, James tried not to pay attention to the softness of her skin and the form of her neck. How he wanted to kiss the back of her neck and pull her close to him. He settled for letting his hands trail fleetingly down her back as he pulled away. "There. Now, let's take a look."

Grace turned back around and looked in the rear view mirror. The charm was just right. Not too big, not too small. It was framed perfectly by her dress. Without thinking, she leaned over and kissed James on the cheek. The scent of her rose perfume made him heady. The contact of his warm skin on her lips astonished her. Both James and Grace fought to hide the stunned look on their faces. Recovering and settling into her seat, Grace spoke.

"For what it's worth, thank you again, James. You are too kind to me." The deep blush in her tan cheeks belied the calm response. As James started the car, Grace simply smiled as he took her hand and kept it in his on the drive home.

Dinner was early that night, and it was a veritable feast of seafood, laughter, stories, and jokes. Taking a seat next to each other, James kept a close eye on Grace's reactions as he brushed his hand on her leg or held her hand underneath the table. They said very little to each other on the way home, and once they arrived, dinner was served. How James ached to tell her what he was feeling! The angelic laugh and dulcet voice captivated him to the point that he couldn't take his eyes off of her while she spoke. Her mind worked so quickly, and he admired how sure-footed she was on any topic. When dinner was done, he felt a small tinge of loneliness as Grace got up and went with Kara out to the covered porch to listen to some music. He got trapped by Nathan to join the men for a cigar in the study. As she left, Grace turned and smiled. James took it as a silent promise that they would see each other soon.

When he finally escaped the musty boy's club, James found Grace outside alone, sitting astride the homemade swing, singing along to the CD player. Standing at the doorway of the covered porch, he spied on her. She still donned her sundress, but because of the breeze, had added a delicate white cardigan. Being as small as she was, her bare feet barely grazed the blades of grass beneath her. Grace was laughing and swinging along in the waning sunlight to Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl." James prayed silently to himself:Please don't ever let me forget this picture of her. She's absolutely perfect.

Head flung back, her voice carried into the air, "Standing in the sunlight laughing...slipping and a sliding..." James moved toward the tree noting that her back was to him, "...My brown eyed girl...You are my brown eyed girl!"

Leaning against the tree, he laughed, "Do you think Van knew he was writing about you when he penned that song?" Grace turned around and saw him standing there. Another blush crossed her face and her own deep brown eyes sparkled. Not knowing how to respond, Grace simply turned around so that she was sitting squarely in the swing. Taking advantage, James stepped behind her and gave her a push. Around them, the ocean lapped softly in the distance and the birds sang their final songs before the evening.

Grace didn't dare turn around. Picking a spot on the lawn to stare at, she tried to center her mind. There was no doubt about it; she was very much attracted to this handsome man. But the conflict still raged inside of her. Never had a man showed as much care and thoughtfulness than he had in the last couple of days. Recounting the stolen glances, shy smiles, and especially the displays of affection they shared that afternoon, Grace couldn't help but give herself to him. Yet there was this unmentioned gap. It was filled with hazards in her mind. Their age. The distance between their homes. The fact that this was her best friend's uncle. Yes, she wanted him body and soul. Still she couldn't let go of the fear that it could all come crashing down on them.

It was tearing her apart. As she stared down the grass, she was oblivious to the fact that James was trying to get her attention. When she glanced up, she was face to face with him. He had squatted down in front of her and looked quite concerned.

"Grace, what is it?" His hand brushed her face, "Gracie, are you crying?" So obsessed with the battle raging in her head, she failed to realize that the drama was now playing plainly on her face. James wrapped his hands around hers as she held onto the ropes of the swing. He called to her again, "Grace. Talk to me, please."

Those eyes! Those big, brown, beautiful eyes! They were welling up before him and all James could think of was how to make them stop crying. She closed them shut and took a deep breath. Grace opened her eyes. Her voice was a little shaky as she spoke.

"I'm sorry. I've just been...been thinking so much the last week." Gulping for air and composing herself, Grace looked directly into his soft hazel eyes. "When they told me you were coming...I...something inside me just...clicked." Her voice dropped to almost a whisper, "Talking and writing with you this past year, well, it was comforting."

"I know. I was thinking the same thing."

"But you don't understand, James. Whenever you would write or call, you would always make me feel special. Getting to know you this way..."

"...made me fall in love with you." His words made her stop dead in her tracks mentally. Taking a leap of faith, James continued. "Grace, I don't pretend to understand how the world works, but somehow I've fallen in love with you."

"With only phone calls? E-mails?"

"I know, I know. This all seems improbable."

"And our ages..."

"Don't think I haven't thought of that, Grace." A shiver broke through James' body. But he soldiered on, "I tried to pretend that what was developing wasn't happening. Then Mia invited me to the house, and then you were here. You were in the fleshhere." He took her face in his hands, "And I justknew, Grace. I knew."

Grace rested her head in his hands. A tear trickled down her face. She then straightened herself up in the swing, "How can you know, James? How can we really know? What if you're wrong and this is just some sick and strange crush?" The ferocity of her statement caught him by surprise. She stood up and got off the swing abruptly. Grace walked a wide berth around him.

"Strange? You're calling me falling in love with you sick and strange?" Scrambling off the ground, he blocked her path to the porch. Grace tried to walk past him, but he wouldn't budge, "Grace! Don't tell me you don't feel the same way. Didn't you fall in love with me too?"

"You speak of my love like you have experienced love like mine before!" Grace's voice had a slight edge to it. "But how can you really know? I know when I dreamed of love, I didn't expect it to come like this! What girl ever thinks that her Prince Charming would be old enough to be her father?"

"And you think I willingly invited this? Grace, I am an old man, but I know that I havenever felt this way about anyone." James tried to reach for her, she side stepped him. "Grace...I know how you feel. I'm scared too."

Once again she tried to walk past him, but he gathered her in a fierce embrace. "James," she cried, "Please just let me by." She struggle against him weakly, "Just let me go."

Pulling back, he looked down at her. Tears stained the perfect face before him. The conflict and concern bearing witness down her cheeks. It was almost too much to bear. James knew he had to try. Once again, taking her face in his hands, he bent his head down to her. Time stopped. He tilted his head and whispered, "But, I love you. I love you Gracie, I do."

His lips grazed hers at first, like a test. Passing the litmus, he let go of her face and held onto her for dear life. He kissed her deeply and with all the longing in his heart. It was the way he had wanted to kiss her since yesterday when he first met her face to face. At first stunned, Grace kissed back with as much heat and passion that she could muster. Her body was pressed onto his, and she felt a warm glow inside her. But as quickly as it came, the warmth left her as she came to her senses. Her hands were on his chest and she pushed with all her might. As James stumbled, she brushed past him onto the porch. Before entering the house, she turned.

"I'm sorry I barged into your life." Wiping her eyes dry, she entered the house. James stood rooted to the spot feeling as if everything he had done in his life was for nothing. He was cut open and bleeding from the heart, and for a moment, he didn't care if he lived or died.

The next two days were pure agony for James. Aside from the occasional greeting during meals, Grace stayed away from him. On Monday, she took off on a bike and spent the whole day at the beach. On Tuesday, the women went back into town for a spa day. Grace was sending the message that she didn't want any part of him. James wandered about the house brooding. Wanting to respect her wishes, he hung back from most activities and gave Grace the space he thought she needed. But it came at a heavy price to his heart.

For her part, Grace tried to put Sunday's revelations behind her. Convincing herself that it was for the best, she tried to enjoy her vacation. Deep down, she worried at how she could spend the next week and a half here with James. Sitting on her bed Tuesday night, she contemplated leaving early, making some excuse about an emergency at work, but she knew Mia and Nathan would talk her out of it. It pained her to look at him. Grace knew that she had hurt him. She sat on her bed toying with a box in her hands. She had to end this obsession. Grace simply could not reconcile her feelings and her logic when it came to James. Sliding off the bed, Grace caught her image in the mirror. A bittersweet look crossed her face.