All Comments on 'The Right Side of the Hill'

by Penelope Street

Sort by:
  • 57 Comments
WandererWandererabout 19 years ago
Fabulous!

A masterpiece of erotic fiction, speaking truly and deeply to the souls of Dominants and submissives alike. Of course I can only speak for the Dominants (one actually, we're an opinionated bunch I'm sure) but I do really feel that D/s was well captured in this story. A pleasure to read....again and again.

Benjamin Miller

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
BRAVO

Once again, you have taken my breath away by the time I've reached the climax of your story!! Nicely done! You did well by leading us on with intrigue and mystery, pulling us in with each word. I absolutely loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
Another Masterpiece

Another well done piece of work. Your versatility continues to amaze and facinate me. Your characters sparkle with brilliant conversation and thought. I thought, when I found it, that I would be the first to comment. But two other admirers got there first. Your work is always a pleasure to read. I look forward to more of your interesting stories. You certainly are one of my very favorites!

Sir_NathanSir_Nathanabout 19 years ago
Um... I'm sorry, I don't like this...

"I decided the poor old woman deserved at least one response for her troubles." You don't really think an actual real Dominant male, of your protagonist's age would think like that? This is apologetic and unfairly discriminatory. There are PLENTY of older Dominant males out there just finding this life who would snap up your 'slave' in an instant.

However, it is possible that a 'novice' Dominant may indeed be scouring a lifestyle paper, perhaps after a couple of disasters, to find a sub. But we don't know WHAT his motivation is!

"...scouring the furrows of (sic) more grime than I expected to encounter"? YUK!

Furthermore, why is he so fearful of revealing who he is (ie. making up the email address) to a self-styled 'slave'? (Note also that your liberal interpretation, ie regularly switching between 'slave' and 'submissive', is also innaccurate. Particularly when her written response is that of a sub, not a slave. A slave would NEVER sign her first correspondence as 'Yours'. Even WITH the 'maybe'.)

"I passed a large breath" grates. One passes a stool or passes wind. One rarely 'passes' a breath.

"...I decided whoever she was; she must be a very interesting woman indeed. I wanted to know more. Had she ever been married?" This 'alleged' Dominant finds the fact that she is forthright and gives him directions to their first meeting as 'interesting', then the very next thing he wonders is if she's ever been married??? Or if not, why not??? Chuckles... I don't think so...

"Did her marriage fail due to this bondage fetish"? He hasn't even spoken to her, yet he is already wondering if her marriage failed because of her 'bondage fetish'? I didn't realise she had one.

I am going to try to read on and suspend my attachment to reality. After all, it's just a story, right?

Sighs... I can't do it. Look, despite your numerous fans and obvious talent for writing (which results in your high score btw), you will find writing as a Dominant male difficult unless you can think like one.

You will get a real fright when you actually meet one of Us.

SN

rgraham666rgraham666about 19 years ago
Damn!

That was good.

A very interesting build up, excellent character development, and a hot, hot finish.

Ms. Street has created an excellent piece of work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
LAME

This was the dullest and silliest depiction of bdsm

that i have ever read..just plan silly

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
Yo people must be nuts

This was an awsome story, I hope there where be more to it

professorjamesprofessorjamesabout 19 years ago
Erotic and interesting

A well done story. Admittedly not the typical BDSM elements, but that does not necessarily distract the reader. With all due respect to Sir Nathan - and he is due much. I find his stories top notch. - all readers of BDSM are not into the true Dominant and submissive lifestyle. If I had just read a description of this story I would most likely have skipped it because it sounds so improbable. However, even though the situation may have a number of likely real-life flaws, the story draws the reader in and even unlikely actions of the characters seem not only reasonable, but expected. There used to be a saying: "Different strokes for different folks." There are a variety of readers out there and many enjoy stories outside the realistic, pure ideals of the Dominant-submissive lifestyle. Many even practice a wide variety of activities which will not fit the preconceived notion of true believers as to what is necessary for a relationship. Overall, an excellent read.

catalina_franciscocatalina_franciscoabout 19 years ago
Sorry...

Like your last story in the realm of BDSM, I found this one didn't reflect the lifestyle, even if you wanted to step outside the box and contemplate an individual approach. IME I have never known a Dominant, male or female, who would have remained throughout the initial interview with the daughter, nor any who would have committed to taking on the responsibility of owning a slave they had never met and knew nothing of, not to mention the limited knowledge they were given was during one dinner date with her daughter. Add to that the fact the Dominant was ordered to give up his work and place of residence and he just agrees as if he has no choice. That is a submissive, and not a very good one. The story portrayed thoroughout 2 women who were ordering the male to do as they both wished, loosely referred to here as topping from the bottom, and that does not fit the personality of any Dominant I know. Where is his dominance?

I understand you may wish to portray a less than perfect Dominant, but making him appear a spineless submissive who just goes along with whatever he is told he has to do does not work, especially when accompanied by threats......there are other ways to portray the imperfections which all humans have, Dominants included. The mention of sexual practices that do not fit into D/s are also subjective, and not very accurate. I think you have talent in writing, but just need to know your subject a little better.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
This doesn't even compare

to the stories around it in the top list. it simply doesn't belong there. This is a reality tv look at bdsm. utterly ridiculous. clearly written by someone who has no idea

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
Loved the Story, Disagree with the Comments

This was an excellent story, well written and very enjoyable. As for the folks who left comments saying how unlike the real lifestyle this really is, so what? Folks, this is fiction!! And besides, Ben is not, and never claimed to be a Dominant. He was just some overworked lawyer who stumbled onto the ad and was intrigued by it, after it appeared more than twice. Is there some sort of BDSM bible or rule book that defines what a Master or Dominant is, and rules? I liked the story, quite frankly, some of the stories written by the folks who criticized this story are too extreme for my tastes.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
So much better than most of the stuff here.

I truly enjoyed this story. I hope you take it farther. At least it had a real plot and sensible people. Thank you for a good and enjoyable read. As for those who say it is not BDSM...everyone's idea of that is different, it doesn't have to always be whips, chains and pain and in fact I prefer something more believeable like this.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Hmm...sadly...no

Although well written and to a large extent interesting, i might actually have to agree with half the people here to say that this was over all a dissapointment.

I know with fantasy you are meant to be able to put any spin on whatever you are writing, but the depicitions worried me a tad all the way through to the end.

At the time i wasnt sure if this was a good thing or not, but it hasnt been the same way for alot of stories i have read.

I think you have alot of potential here, but sadly this story just isnt for alot of us.

I will keep watching for other stories in the hope that the spark i see in the bits i liked come out more next time

Thankyou for making a huge effort to write it, it does at least show dedication to what you do, if not only for its sheer length.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Excellent

This was a great read. Much better than the downright meanness of normal BDSM...I would enjoy this type of relationship....I couldn't bring my self to truly abuse someone and even a dominant should be smart enough to take a free-ride when given one...lol..

Great story..

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Delicious

Well written! The thorough attention to the dialogue between the slave and master highlighted the erotic descriptions of the sexual activity. This submssion is a great example of a respectful slave/master relationship.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Enjoyment !!!

Okay a lil' different , a little slow starting, but I'm starting Ch.3 and want to take time to say THANK YOU !!! I'm not a literary critic but your story is HOT ! Thanks for writting it

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
GREAT !!!

Perfect tale , i enjoyed reading every word of it and that's not often the case .

evelyn_carrollevelyn_carrollover 18 years ago
Subtle and sensuous

I was drawn into the story immediately because it was by a woman writing from a man’s viewpoint – interesting thing to do. Next, I realised that it is rather well written, on purely technical grounds (I only found one typo too!) Then the real joy: it’s deliciously understated; you use the genre clichés without labouring them in the slightest. My temptation is always to go OTT and almost parody the genre. I wish I could write with such restraint. I know this was good because I didn’t ‘skim read’ at any point. I like Ben’s ambivalence (I have characters like him). Making a note now to read your other work. Super!

txrosenaynaytxrosenaynayover 18 years ago
mmmmm

wonderfully well written and unlike other bdsm type stories found "here". i am a submissive/slave in a real life relationship and i would disagree with some that have said this isn't like bdsm...bdsm is a state of mind not just pain pain and more pain, its pain/pleasure for not only Master but slave. i saw more real time stuff here then a story i read recently about throwing a woman in a cage tied up for a week with nipple clamps and no food...now get real i don't know a single real life Master who would even consider harming his property that way...and yes, this story is unusual but so lovely..i'm glad i took the recommendation of another authors 100plus best list and gave it a read. respectfully a new fan in Texas

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Great Story

Penelope - i thought this was a fantastically written story - and very sexy.

As for some of the criticism - I think it would be a very sad day if sex or fiction has to follow some predetermined set of rules or formulae.

Ignore your critics. Write what you beleive, write what you enjoy - and dont be bound by some other peoples arbitrary rules.

Daz

NookiehunterNookiehunteralmost 18 years ago
BDSM Has A Place For Tenderness

I have always believed that in a master/slave relationship there is a place for decency and tenderness. In fact, that makes the role of the master far more satisfying.

Nookiehunter

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
A Good Read

I enjoyed this story. Well Done! It shows how relationships should be. "Peter"

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
I love it

A BDSM story with a twist - a daughter selecting a master for her mother. Setting and characters are believable. Not the run-of-the-mill hardcore BDSM story. It is definately a keeper. I can't wait to share it with my wife.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Sukkulent!

A captivating story, erotic, mysterious, and above all, human! Would that we all could live such a dream existence. Keep up the good work.

CoryleaCoryleaalmost 16 years ago
Thanks from a 50-year-old for a sweet story!

I loved the sweetness of this story. Usually I like darkness in BDSM stories, but the sweetness of this story was actually just right -- perfect, even. I turned fifty a couple of months ago, and although I know this is fiction, it sure was uplifting to read. *smile*

I have two lovers and a husband, so don't let anybody tell you that 50-year-olds don't still have it. :-)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
Excellent work

An imaginative scenario, not too strained for some of the details to be plausible. The writing is good, and you paid attention to your editing. Naturally, it is the characters who make this work, and your psychological introspections were really well done. The relationship between the daughter and the neophyte "master" was an amusing and interesting counterpoint to his relationship with his slave girl. The sex was very arousing, especially in the context of the rest. Altogether, one of the few 5s I have given on this site.

Thanks, DutchMark

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Not for Me

Although the intro seemed weak i decided to read on because it showed potential but it seems as though you failed to really capitalize on that potential and the story didn't go anywhere.

For me the biggest problem was that the dominant immediately asked his slave to remove her clothes. It made him seem more like a randy teenager than a man in total control.

However the concept is good, probably the kind of story that would benefit greatly from a rewrite from another author.

Scorpio44Scorpio44over 13 years ago
His intro to Domination was fun!

I liked how you crafted getting-Mom-a-Master into a great grinning romp!

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
I love your writing!

Once again you have shown your excellence and versatility in, uh, "mastering" another variety of literary niche with this well-crafted "submission".

;^)

Upon reading the previous comments it is obvious that a few single-genre writers here feel as though "the details" of your material don't fit comfortably within the narrow constraints of their little sandboxes.

"Salami, salami *bologny*" to them.

Please continue delighting the rest of us with more of your shining talent. You rock Penelope!

Belladonna1969Belladonna1969about 13 years ago
Dear Ms Street

Your story was a nice change of pace. Pisson those that picked it to death. Evidently they have too much time on their hands.

The others writers that didn't like the story could have just as easily rated it and sent the negative feedback via personal message.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Loved the story, but ...

Exciting, wonderful story. It certainly made me jealous of the master. How I would love to have such a slave girl of my own.

But I want more. There are so many other possibilities in a situation like this. Please continue writing.

tantalisetantalisealmost 13 years ago
i really enjoyed this story

a truly fabulous story. how i envied the hero , this is my secret fetish. i didn't want it to end.

StoryTeller07StoryTeller07almost 13 years ago
Negative feedback? How?

Others have referred to negative feedback so I guess you deleted them. Can't understand how that could possibly be so, for this story was absolutley wonderful. I wouldn't say I was especially into this 'thing' but it was so well written it dragged me in. I just had to see it to the end which is the best test of any story.

Some fools mention spelling or some small things (mine often have far too many errors which spoils the flow) but the story was so riveting I wouldn't have seen a horse walk on stage, so to speak. Sorry to write an essay when the one word 'excellent' would have done!

DontJudgeMeDontJudgeMeover 12 years ago
Excellent!

Great story. Really great... five stars, no doubt about it!

condoblokecondoblokeover 12 years ago
At Last !!!

at last i have found an author worthy of my praise. Well done Penelope......well written....this tome KEPT me reading, for all the right reasons.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Well written and enjoyable without being obvious

An ambivilent Dom is an interesting starting point, and the quality of the writing kept me going. It is good that it avoids the unrealistic bdsm cliches, but once he moved in it went flat for me. Ben misses the feeling a slave is seeking, by quickly making this a shared romance and falling in love. In my limited experience on both sides, a Dom is intererested in demonstrations of power, not just sex and love, and a slave wants humiliation at some level, not just acceptance and a spanking. Still, excellent writing and please do more, in context here has to be rated 5.

AlexustAlexustover 12 years ago
~Enjoyed

I really enjoyed this story! Nicely done!!

areanabenoirareanabenoirover 12 years ago

This was a sweet story.....it was well written and it kept my interest all the way through.....As far as the statements about it not being what a real slave or master would want ... I don't agree..... there are so many variations in our humaness and so many differences in what each of us is excited by or is pleased by ... I just saw this as another variation on the theme. My Master was new at being a Master when we started and I never wanted or needed abuse and humiliation...just power, mastery and control.... My Master has a gentle and loving side that I adore .......M/s relationships can have sweetness in them and have a soft side ....... if there is sweetness and softness in the people exploring domination and submission. Anyway... that's just my opinion and I am sure many will disagree......Still..... keep writing ....... good story!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
A beautiful tale

I would concur with the comments made previously. My slave does many things she shouldn't so she can be corrected and/or punished. I don't just use spanking and the like, but will sometimes punish her emotionally in public, and she thrives on the humiliation. Otherwise, an exceptionally well presented and concieved story.

slave_arianaslave_arianaabout 12 years ago

Brilliantly written, and exploring the softer side of D/s.

I loved it

DogwalkerDogwalkerover 11 years ago

Why weren't there job offers like this when I became an accountant?!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Great story

Wonderful story on a subject I don't like. In this case, you made me a fan. Would love to see a sequel - does the daughter get involved?

OverthefallsOverthefallsabout 11 years ago
Great story

I don't normally like BDSM but I followed some random link and discovered one of my absolute favorite stories EVER! Great job. Don't suppose you'd consider a follow-up to this wonderful love story?

crittergirlcrittergirlover 10 years ago
I like it

Some people have argued that this story is unrealistic, and that Ben isn't even a real dominant. I somewhat agree with the both points. Ben doesn't act at all dominant in his interactions with Alex, and in fact is rather a pushover. That's what I liked.

He wasn't a dom at the beginning of the story, and watching him discover that side of himself made the story worth reading.I enjoyed seeing his feelings change from pity and curiosity to wondering if he was even worthy of the gorgeous woman who wanted to submit to him. While there will always be a place on my bookshelf for godlike men who know just what they want, Ben's overall sweetness was a refreshing change.

As for the story being unrealistic, I agree. Of course the fact that he dropped his job and moved at a moments notice would be worrying in real life. As a devoted reader of some of the most awful bodice-rippers though, I know when not to let a somewhat fantastic plot ruin a good story, especially when it's this well written.

ham_sandwichham_sandwichover 9 years ago
A wonderfully endearing story!

Not your typical BDSM rote at all, but very original, funny even! It's a great piece of work.

nthusiasticnthusiasticabout 9 years ago
Clever Concept!

I like it a lot! Sensual women, like fine wine, merely improve with age as discerning males discover with satisfaction.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Awesome

As an older, attractive (if I do say so myself) submissive woman, I absolutely loved this story. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Loved it!

Hey, I loved it! I thoroughly enjoyed the storytelling.

It was unique to a T, and Ben's introspective thoughts sucked me right in. Everything was a surprise that kept me reading, and I thought it was very well done, especially because I don't go looking for stories with an older woman and younger male relationship dynamic. The twist at the dinner scene was brilliant, and for almost the entire dinner scene I was expecting Alex to eventually drop the ball and say she was the intended slave. But no, it was her mother in the end, but by that time I was completely in the same boat as Ben, empathising with the protagonist so to speak.

Thanks for sharing! :)

lowkeyonelowkeyoneover 8 years ago
WOW YOU ARE GOOD

That story was bloody fantastic, I loved it. THANK YOU

49greg49gregabout 7 years ago
Great story

I just re-read this story, came across it by accident, hadn't read it in years, but still remembered the basics of it. Still great.

TSpank61TSpank61over 6 years ago
5 Stars

This is the kind of story I aspire to write but know I fall woefully short. Sweet yet very sexy. The pace of the story as it unfolds was perfect. Thank you for sharing it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
1 star

Could not finish it... it just does not make any sense to me. The woman is looking for a Master, instead she gets somebody with no dom experience, actually, with no BDSM experience at all! Yes, you can learn to be a good dom after being a sub for a while to a great teacher, but there is no way to learn to be a half decent master with absolutely no experience with this world and submissive inclinanations to start with.

Please, write about something you personally know! Or at least about something that you are interested enough in to spend enough time researching.

You a good writer, just not on this topic.

SawdustChuckSawdustChuckabout 5 years ago
So much to learn and more to gain

I believe there is so much more to this story yet to be told. How does he become a true Master? When does he take control of the daughter also? Where can this story go?

nivlem55nivlem55over 1 year ago

I did like this story and how you wrote build up to very arousing situation hopefully you can see more in writing more episodes in what might happen next

ColonelinguistColonelinguist2 months ago

All your stories I’ve read so far contain some greater message that a reader comes away with.

In this one, the narrative of the master’s insights and observations about exercising his dominance over his submissive ( or slave ) reads very much like a textbook on how to keep a submissive, both emotionally sated and proud that their physical bodies are something highly valued by their master. The way I see it, that’s the kinda textbook that could actually save lots of marriages and relationships. You really do have a special way with words Penny.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzar14 days ago

I read some comments from some years ago and they(mostly Anon, duh) were complaining how un-dom like the MC is in the beginning and didn't know enough to own a slave, etc, etc. They missed the entire concept. He learned rapidly how dominant he really was. She helped him learn. I've never had a subbie for any length of time that didn't help me learn or improve my knowledge and skills. 5*

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous