Second First Kiss

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She decided to table her confusion for now and try to eat some of the food that Celia had worked so hard to fix for her. It had been so long since she'd had a real Irish breakfast. Hell, it had been too long since she'd even eaten any kind of breakfast! The smell made her belly growl loudly.

"Well, if that isn't a most unladylike sound!"

Brenna chuckled, looking at the long lean man who'd parked himself against the doorjamb. The years had been kind to Daniel Killian as well, the steel grey hair giving him a very distinguished look. "Come to check on me, have you?"

"Just making sure you didn't take off again." Daniel moved away from the doorway and sat himself a little stiffly into the chair Aidan had been sleeping in the night before. "You gave us a real fright girl."

Brenna looked away, shame coloring her cheeks. "I know, and I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me."

"Love, that's what came over you. All that pain you've been avoiding finally broke lose in ya." Daniel crossed his ankles and made himself more comfortable.

"I was so stupid. I ran from here like the hounds of hell were chomping on my ankles. I have so many regrets. I just wanted to talk to her one last time." The tears that seemed so close to the surface all the time fell once more.

"She never stopped loving you muirnin. She accepted that you had to find your own path. And look where it's led you. Right back where you always belonged. Where people love you and care for you. Nothing else matters. She forgave you long before you thought to ask."

Hearing the native Gaelic for sweetheart roll off his tongue almost started a whole new round of tears. How she'd missed the language of her home. "Thank you, athair. How I have missed you all!"

Daniel felt tears burning the back of his throat as Brenna addressed him as father. He'd always been close to the cailin (girl), taking on being some kind of father figure for her since hers had passed when she was so young. He loved her like a daughter and it warmed his heart that she felt the same for him.

"Aidan's angry with me?" she asked, her cheeks burning, shocked that she'd asked about him to his father.

"Aye, that he is cailin. But, he'll be over it soon enough. He just needs time. Seeing you again was shock enough, but to find you near death, well, that was almost too much for the boy." Daniel watched her closely for a minute, considering what he was seeing in Brenna's eyes. "You still love him," he stated firmly, smiling.

Brenna looked at him with total shock written on her features. He just kept smiling, kept looking deeper into her soul than she was comfortable with. Finally, she gave up and shrugged. "I never stopped loving him athair. I ran because I loved him too much."

"Scared ya, didn't it?" he asked, reaching out to take her too slim hand in his own rough one.

"To death. I kept thinking, what if I'm wrong and two years from now he leaves me for another? How would I survive? So I left first." The words came out as a whisper, dragged from the deepest part of Brenna's heart. How silly it all sounded now.

"He's never loved another since you Brenna. It's never too late to set things right." Daniel squeezed her hand firmly, love in his eyes. "Think about it." He turned and walked out of the room, leaving Brenna more emotionally drained than she thought was possible.

She definitely needed time to think. All her priorities had been wrapped up in moving beyond Aidan, making something of herself, being someone on her own. But, had that been her real dream or had it just been the panicked reasoning of a frightened little girl? She didn't know. And she wasn't going to figure it out this morning that was certain.

Looking down, Brenna stared at her plate. Her now empty plate. Laughing, she fell back against the pillow, stomach pleasantly full. It seemed she would be putting on some weight after all!

Hopes, Dreams and Faerietales

Aidan avoided her over the next couple of weeks as she recovered. The few times she did see him, he nodded politely then moved on quickly. She didn't call him on it, remembering what his father had said about him needing time. Brenna would give him a little more, then she intended on having a long, probably painful talk with him about the past - and the future.

She felt strong enough that day to take on doing some cleaning. She started in her old room, going through drawers and packing up clothes from her teen years, laughing at her bad style. She found pictures of school friends, little mementos she'd saved from each of them. Once she was finished she'd made quite a new mess. Moving the boxes outside, she came back in to tackle her closet.

Brenna worked from the bottom to the top, reaching back into her hidden corner to pull out a box she'd been avoiding for too long. An old shoe box, covered in dust, yellowed with age presented itself and she sat down in the floor, almost afraid to open it.

Eventually, she had no choice. The lid came off in a cloud of dust and she sighed at the contents. On top were a dozen dried red roses. Aidan had saved his money from almost a month to be able to afford to buy them for her, giving them to her on their first 'official' date. Tied to them with a pink ribbon were the cinema stubs from the movie they'd pretended to watch.

Carefully she lifted the bouquet, afraid the fragile dried petals would fall off from age. They made it intact to the floor next to her and she sighed in relief. Under those roses, a pile of folded letters tied in some of the same pink ribbon, all love letters from Aidan when he'd been away at University those first couple of years. Oh, how she'd missed him. She knew if she removed them from their envelopes the pages would be wrinkled from her dried tears.

But, she didn't open them. She knew every word on every page by heart, even now. She set them aside with the roses. Her journal had yellowed with age and she set that aside as well, desperate to find the one thing more precious to her than anything else in the box. Finally, under a pile of petals from an old corsage, she found it. The little twisted pieces of metal were scarred with age and improper storage but she was sure she could make it look new again. The four pieces of metal were light and airy but much stronger than they appeared. They represented her, Aidan, her mother and his parents. Two families brought together by love and friendship. It had been the promise ring Aidan had given her when he'd left for University.

Tears of remembered love fell from her eyes and she dared to try and put the ring on her finger again. It still fit! The cold metal seemed to warm as it wrapped around her skin, almost tingling with life. All these years and her heart still knew where it belonged.

Placing everything but the ring on her finger back into the box very carefully, Brenna returned it to its special hiding place and turned away, leaving her childhood behind in that room where it belonged. It was time to confront Aidan as a woman and not a confused teenager that didn't know what she wanted.

And she knew just how to make him realize her continued love for him. Quickly, she ran to the kitchen and the pantry where her mother had always made her store her art supplies. She pulled out her pastels and chalks, growling when the sketchbook practically fell apart in her hands from age. She would head straight into town for a new one then come back to begin her special Valentine present for the man she loved as only a grown up Brenna could.

Brenna spent the next seven days working non-stop. Her sketches had been rough at first, too many years not working her artistic eye. Soon though, they became fluid and magical, so realistic that even she was amazed. When they were done, it took her another full day to write the story that went with the pictures. She had to make sure everything was just right.

When it was complete, she drove into Dublin and spent a great deal of money to have her story turned into a real, hardcover bound book. It had taken several long days but when she drove back to pick it up she realized it had been worth it. The man at the counter even suggested she send it to a publisher, the story and pictures so beautiful. She thanked him, told him she'd think about it and rushed back to her home on the cliffs.

It was February the thirteenth, also Friday the thirteenth, and as everyone knows the Irish are a superstitious lot. Scared something would go wrong before Aidan got his Valentine, Brenna placed it in one of those large waterproof bags then wrapped it up tight. She slept fitfully that night, tossing and turning with anxiety and nerves. She was up with the dawn and eager to deliver her special Valentine.

Praying no one at the Killian house was awake yet, Brenna tiptoed up to the door and lay the wrapped book on the doorstep where it couldn't be missed. Almost squealing with excitement and nervousness, Brenna ran as quick as she could back to her house and shut the door tight behind her.

Aidan rose not long after Brenna's frightened flight back to her childhood home. He opened the door to go check on their animals as he always did, tripping over a hard object on the step. He picked it up, curious, surprised to see his name printed across the package in bold block letters. He took the package inside and sat at the kitchen table, ripping off the plain brown paper to find the handsome brown leather bound book inside a plastic bag. Somehow, without even opening the cover he knew it was from Brenna.

Finally getting up the courage to open the book, he saw there was a message written on the first page. 'Aidan, Happy Valentines' Day. Always, Brenna'. Taking a deep breath, he turned the page and fell into the magical world she'd created for him. His parents rose and he'd already read the tome twice, devouring every word. He explained about the present from Brenna then read them the story aloud, showing them the beautiful pictures she'd done to match the text. It read:

'Once upon a time, in a land of green and gold, there lived a young maiden. Her mother had often told her how she'd been born under the iomlan gealai (full moon) and how that made her more special than any other maid in their village.

The maid, knowing she had draiocht (magic) behind her, often risked going to the faerie mounds and rings that hid in the woods behind her home. She loved to hide and watch as the faeries' danced and sang, such beautiful music they made!

One night the maid knew of a special ceremony the faeries would be having and snuck from her bed, dressed only in her night shift, and crept through the woods to the faerie ring. She could see lights twinkling long before she made it to her special hiding spot.

What a glorious sight it was! The faeries with their gorgeous multicolored wings seemed to be in a very excited state, talking, dancing and drinking with gusto! The maid felt her own heart start to beat faster watching the spectacle in front of her.

Suddenly a hush fell over the troupe and a feeling of anticipation filled the air. A faerie, more beautiful than any other, moved into view, the other faeries bowing their heads in respect. This must be the Queen of the Faeries, thought the maid!

The celebration started again, the Queen seated on a throne made of small diamonds and rubies. She looked quite lovely and smiled as the revelry went on around her. A male faerie with light blue wings brought her a golden cup and she patted him on the head, bringing a glorious smile to his face.

The maid didn't know how long she'd been sitting there, watching the celebration when she felt the atmosphere change. Anger suddenly filled the air, and fear filled the maid. She'd been caught!

The Queen, her face scary and hard with anger, pointed a slim bejeweled finger at the maid and hissed, her beautiful voice now very snakelike, "You, interloper! How dare you defile a gathering of my people! For your dishonor I will take your true love from you and keep him with me for ten long years, returning him to you an old, broken man that you will no longer be able to love!"

The maid shuddered in fear, her words so violently delivered that she turned and fled, not stopping until she was back in her own bed, safe and sound. After calming down she couldn't help but give a tiny smile. The Queen had cursed her but the maid was sure the faerie hadn't known that the maid had no true love and never would. The maid had dreams and none of them involved falling in love!

Many years later, the maid, now a ripe eight and ten years, fell in love with the most handsome man in her village. To her great joy, he loved her in return and they spent many wonderful days planning their wedding. The maid had completely forgotten the curse placed upon her by the Queen of the Faeries.

The maid and her handsome young man attended a Valentine's dance in the village square. They danced and sang, her young man twirling her around until she was breathless and dizzy with excitement. The night got darker and darker, clouds hiding the full moon from sight. A loud clap of thunder and bright lights in the sky made the entire crowd go silent with fear and awe.

Descending from the sky were an army of faerie, followed from the woods by their Queen on a scary black steed. The crowd parted quickly, praying her wrath wasn't directed towards them or their families. They had nothing to fear, but the maid knew her time had come. At first sight of the Queen she had remembered her curse and knew her handsome young man, the love of her life was about to be taken from her and forced to live with the Queen for ten long years of suffering.

The army of faeries gathered around the handsome young man and bound his hands and feet so he could not escape. Pulling as one, they lifted him from the ground and began to fly away, her young man screaming for someone to help him. The maid began to silently weep, trying to think of a way to rescue her truest love from his fate. She turned to the Queen and offered herself in exchange for the young man but the Queen only laughed harshly and spat on the ground in front of the maid.

"He is mine and no one shall dare rescue him or risk death. And you, stupid maid, I cast a spell on you, forget what you have seen, what you have felt, forget my words. Live your life knowing you have lost something very important but be unable to discover what it is you have lost. That is the fate of intruding maids with very little sense!"

The Queen turned her giant steed around in a cloud of dust and rushed into the woods. The minute she was gone from sight, the maid forgot everything, but felt sad and unable to remember why. She turned and made for her home, her heart aching more and more with each step.

Years passed and the maid turned away every suitor who came to her door. Her heart could not be persuaded to take a husband and she had no idea why it could not love. Every year that passed her heart shriveled a little more until by the time she was twenty and nine, her heart was as small and hard as a pebble.

Soon after her thirtieth birthday the maid felt drawn into the wood, the pull so strong that she could not resist. Her feet followed a path now overgrown and thick with brush. She struggled to get through, amazed when she came across a faerie ring in the middle of a beautiful green clearing. Light from the sun shown down on the ring and lit it brightly.

A strange pop sounded and she was amazed to see a troupe of faeries appear before her eyes. What magic was this?! One, more beautiful than the others, sat on a throne of diamonds and rubies. Her face, while beautiful, was hard and cold, scaring the maid. "May the veil I cast over your mind be lifted!"

With her words still hanging in the air, the maid felt her eyes clear and her heart begin to pound. Lying on the ground by her feet was her handsome young man, now thirty and two, his hair tipped with grey and lines crinkling the corners of his eyes. How happy her heart felt! It leaped and pounded as she leaned down to stroke the skin of his heavily bearded cheek, love still flooding her being.

"Take your old man, maid. He is yours again if you will have him. Look upon him and see what he has become!" The Queen laughed evilly and with another pop they all disappeared as suddenly as they had appeared.

The maid did as the Queen said and looked upon the man she had loved. No, still loved. The years between them had not taken away the depth of her feelings for her handsome man. Sitting on the ground, she pulled his head into her lap and stroked his face, reveling in the feel of his skin until he awoke, his beautiful steel grey eyes focusing on her face.

She tried to turn away, fearful of what he would think of her now, after so long. The years had changed her as well, would he still love her as she did him? Tears began to fall from her eyes, landing on the handsome man's eyes.

A magic all their own came from her tears. The handsome man sat up and turned the maid to face him, smiling. No words were needed as he took her face in his large strong hands and pulled her to him for a kiss like no other. Love filled them and spilled over, filling the wood with its strength and passion.

From far away, the sound of an angry scream could be heard. Their love had survived ten years apart from each other. Her spell had failed! True love could not be destroyed even by one as strong as the Queen of Faeries.

One year later, on Valentines' Day, the maid and her handsome man were married and lived a long life together, full of joy, light, love and children. And on the day of their deaths they were found together, holding hands tightly, smiles upon the aged faces.'

Aidan looked up at his parents and noticed his mother wiping tears from her face, both of them smiling widely. His father closed the book for his son and rose, taking his wife's hand in his own and leading her from the room so the boy had time to realize what a gift he'd just been given.

Morning turned into afternoon, afternoon into evening and as the moon rose, Brenna felt her heart starting to shrivel again like the maid's in the story. Full of hurt and loss, Brenna ran to the cliffs and sat there on that frozen ground, feeling the wind trying to turn her to ice. It was too late, she thought, I waited too long.

The wind blew harder and Brenna knew that this time Aidan wouldn't come looking for her. Nor did she want him too. If she couldn't have his love then she wanted to go to her death as quickly as possible. She would just lie on the frozen earth and wait for the white place to return to her.

Aidan went to Brenna's house, the diamond ring in his pocket turning to lead when he found the door open once again, no sign of Brenna within. He took off at a run, this time knowing just where Brenna would go with her thoughts. Some things never changed, even after ten years.

He found her right there on those cliffs, arms wrapped around her knees, rocking herself gently back and forth, the sound of her sobs carrying to him on the wind. It broke his heart to hear her suffering so. He rushed forward, stopping right behind her, realizing she hadn't heard his approach over the sound of the wind and sea below.

Aidan lowered himself carefully to the hard, cold ground behind Brenna and leaned forward, as close to her ear as possible without alerting her to his presence. "Have I really changed so much in ten years? Am I too old for you now?"

Brenna gasped loudly, turning her body to see him sitting there calmly, eyes warm on her tear stained face. He used the pads of his thumbs to wipe the tears away before kissing her softly on her full lips, tasting the salt of her tears there. He kept her face in his large, strong hands as he waited for her answer.

"You didn't come to the house and I thought I was too late. That you couldn't love me anymore the way I love you." Brenna's words trembled with more unshed tears, making her voice quiet and husky.