Saving the Company Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JoeDreamer
JoeDreamer
6,324 Followers

"Who would you have put in charge?" Judy asked. I scratched my head.

"Well, I was planning on putting Clark in my place if I became CEO," I sighed. "He's got the right mentality and he's good with people. Of course, that was with me still around as a safety net."

"And without you around?" she asked. I pursed my lips briefly.

"I'd still give it to Clark. He's earned it," I said with a shrug. "I'm sure he'll grow into the role quickly enough."

"And how do I break the news to Helen?" Judy asked.

"Don't worry about that," I said. "She'll be more relieved than upset."

"Are you sure?" Judy asked in surprise.

"Trust me," I smiled.

"I did once, and see where it got me?" she snapped, surprising us both. She quickly added, "Sorry about that. I haven't slept well the last two nights."

"Judy..." I began, but she cut me off.

"I've got to go to the staff meeting," she interjected. "Wish me luck."

"You'll do fine," I said. "Just stay positive, keep it simple and be honest."

"Sure, easy for you to say," she grumbled.

"I'll be in my office clearing it out if you want to stop by after you're done," I said. Judy nodded and left. I rubbed my eyes and sighed.

I walked back to my old office and continued to pack my stuff. It killed me not to be in the staff meeting, but it wasn't my place. A half hour later Judy was at my door.

"So, how was it?" I asked.

"Better than I feared," she shrugged. "But then again, that's not saying much."

"Well, I'm just about done here. Call me if you need anything," I said, trying to hide my sadness.

"Actually, people heard you're around and a couple of them have questions for you. Would you mind hanging around for a little while longer?"

"Okay," I shrugged.

Three hours later I was still in my old office. I must have given half a dozen people my home email address and phone number to use if they had any further questions. The last person to visit was Helen. As I expected, she was relieved that Judy put Clark temporarily in charge of my old area. She did have a question on a project she was working on. I sat next to her and clarified some definitions as we reviewed the specification together.

"Anything else?" I asked.

"Yes," the short woman replied. "Just one more thing."

"What?" I asked.

"This!" she snapped and punched me in the arm with all the strength her small frame had.

"Hey!" I snapped, rubbing my arm. It really didn't hurt much, but I was surprised, even considering that it was hotheaded Helen who hit me.

"You dirt, rotten, son of a bitch!" she growled. "You convinced me to leave a good job to join you here! And not just me!"

She proceeded to rant at me for another five minutes. I learned long ago not to interrupt her when she was really angry. This time it wasn't easy. Helen normally didn't hold much back, but she was really letting me have it. Her anger was never directed specifically at me before. It was an interesting experience.

The worse part was that she was right. I had convinced her and the others from my old company to come join me. At the time I thought it was a great opportunity for them all. It still had the potential to be, but I could no longer guarantee it.

Helen eventually wound down. She then stormed out, refusing to give me a chance to say anything. I sighed. Maybe I'd wait a couple of days and call her. She definitely needed time to calm down.

"Well, that must have been fun," Judy said from my doorway. "I could hear her all the way in my office."

"She was right," I sighed.

"I know," Judy replied with a shake of her head. "Oh well, that's business."

"I'm going to leave now," I said into the silence that followed.

"Thanks again for staying today and answering questions," Judy replied. I nodded.

* * *

I woke up three thirty in the morning wide-awake. An hour later I found myself at my computer sending my third or fourth email. Each of them contained clarifications and ideas I had on some of the problems I discussed the day before with former employees.

I finished sending the last email and sighed as I stared at my computer monitor. Thoughts of Bethany started to pop into my mind, but I forced them down. I rubbed my hand across my face and realized that I needed a shave. A shower wouldn't hurt either.

I took a nice long, hot shower and let the water sooth the tension I was feeling. I needed to face the reality of what I'd done. I was unemployed once again. I wasn't a young man and finding a job at my level wasn't easy, especially if you didn't want to move.

"Oh, well," I said with a shake of my head. "It is what it is."

Once again thoughts of Bethany invaded my consciousness. I had a sudden flash of her laughing while wrapping a little girl's hair during her granddaughter's party. I caught myself smiling. A number of other memories came to mind, but the one that I was unable to shake was of her gasping out in orgasm our last night together.

"Oh hell!" I snapped to myself. "This isn't helping."

I finished showering, brushed my teeth and was half done shaving when I heard the doorbell ring. I frowned. It was barely six in the morning. I wondered who would be at my door this early?

I wrapped my towel around my waist and used another to wipe the shaving cream from my face as I went toward the door. I'm sure I looked odd with half of my face clean shaved, but so be it. I was pretty sure that anyone showing up this early couldn't care less how I looked. No one knocked on your door at six in the morning unless something was wrong. I threw open the door in concern.

"Hello," Bethany said, but she was obviously startled to see me wrapped in a towel. I thought I saw a moment of desire flash in her eyes, but it was either imagined or quickly controlled.

"Hello," I replied in a monotone, swinging the door wide. I turned and made my way back to the bathroom without another word. I heard the front door shut and wondered briefly if she had entered or left. I refused to think about it as I reapplied shaving cream to half my face.

"I think we made a mistake by resigning," Bethany said as she stood at the bathroom door.

"No shit!" I said sarcastically. "Did you figure that one out all by yourself?"

"How long are you going to act like this?" Bethany asked with a sigh.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Please," she snapped in reply, and then took a deep breath and added, "Cherie was right. We both need to grow up."

I looked at Bethany through the mirror as I shaved. She saw me watching her. We remained silent until I was done. I washed the remaining soap from my face and used a towel to dry it.

"Yes, she was," I finally agreed. After all, I was acting like a fool. "I'm sorry."

"Me too," Bethany said, her eyes looking off into the distance.

"So, what brings you here?" I asked.

"Why don't you get dressed and we'll talk?" she asked. I nodded. I was curious, but it could wait. Whatever Bethany wanted to talk about, it obviously was not about us.

I took my time getting dressed. I needed to get control of myself before I went out and faced Bethany again. I didn't want any more childish outbursts on my part. I even took the time to dry my hair before exiting my bedroom.

"Wow!" I said as I entered the living room. "Something smells delicious!"

"I took the liberty of cooking us breakfast. I hope you don't mind," Bethany smiled.

"Not if it tastes half as good as it smells," I replied. Bethany's smile turned into a gentle laugh. I swallowed hard, forcing myself to remain in control. It would be easier if she weren't so damn beautiful!

We sat down and enjoyed the tasty omelets she made in silence. I don't think either one of us felt particularly comfortable in each other's company, but here we were.

"Oh my," Bethany said once she was done. "That was good! I didn't realize how hungry I was."

"When's the last time you ate?" I asked. Bethany frowned and then shrugged. I shook my head, but let the subject drop.

"I guess you're wondering why I'm here?" she asked.

"That's a pretty fair assumption," I said carefully.

"Well," she began tentatively. "Like I said before, I think we made a mistake quitting."

"And?" I prompted. Bethany hesitated a moment longer.

"Look, I know Brad," she sighed. "He's not one to get angry easily, but he's very slow to forgive once he does."

"Bethany, please just say whatever is on your mind," I said, standing and taking the plates to the sink.

"Well, I was thinking about a hostile take over," she smirked.

"What?" I said in disbelief, and then shook my head and added, "Are you crazy? First of all we're talking about Brad's company here. I respect and like him too much to do something like that! Besides, you can't take over a privately owned company hostilely!"

"I didn't mean literally!" she said. "I would never do something like that to Brad either."

"I doubt we could even if we wanted to and the company was publicly owned. Brad is the one person I would not like to go against," I sighed. "I think we'd be lucky to get away with the clothes on our backs."

"You're right!" Bethany laughed.

"So, what did you mean?" I asked, turning back to the dishes. I began washing them.

"It's simple really," she said. "When I said a hostile take over, I meant of our old jobs, not the company." I turned from the sink and frowned as I looked at her.

"You want to demand our jobs back?" I asked incredulously.

"No, that would never work with Brad," she answered. "What I want to do it go to work and just start doing my old job."

"And this would help how?" I asked.

"Well, Brad's not due back for a week and a half," she shrugged. "Best case, he comes back and let's things alone when he sees us doing our normal work. We keep our jobs and go on from there."

"And worse case he calls security and has us escorted out," I said with a shake of my head. Bethany shrugged.

"Yes, but at least we will have given him the two weeks notice we should have to begin with," she replied.

"Actually, I probably should have given more considering my position," I sighed, and then looked at Bethany and added, "You too."

"I know," she replied, obviously as disappointed in herself as much as I was in myself. "What were we thinking?"

"We weren't," I said with a shrug.

"So, are you interested in joining me in my little hostile take over attempt?" Bethany said, avoiding discussion on what caused us to leave.

"Minimally, we'll need young Bradley's buy in. Probably Judy as well," I said, thinking aloud.

"I think between us, we could convince them," Bethany said. I thought back to my visit the day prior.

"I think Judy would go along, but Bradley?" I asked with a disbelieving look. Bethany shrugged.

"We'll talk to Judy first and then all three of us with confront young Bradley," she said. "Remember, he doesn't really want to run the company anyway. He also knows what it means to his father. I think we can convince him."

"You're an optimist," I said, causing her to smile. I finished the dishes and dried my hands on the dishtowel.

"Well?" she asked, growing impatient.

"We need to talk about us," I said. Bethany pursed her lips.

"Why?" she asked.

"You seem to have forgotten that I love you," I said with a shake of my head.

"I haven't forgotten," she sighed. "I was just hoping you fell out of love with me since that night."

"My emotions aren't that flexible," I replied. Bethany's hands went to her temples.

"Look," she nearly groaned. "What does this have to do with our jobs? Can't we forget about it until..."

"When?" I interjected. "When would be a good time to address us?"

Bethany looked at me in silence. She didn't have an answer to my question and I knew it. She'd have to face her fears in order to answer that question.

"Bethany, do you love me?" I asked. She looked up and met my gaze. She was chewing on her bottom lip.

"It's just us here," I said softly. "You can say it. I already know."

"You're awful confident," she said, avoiding the issue. I wasn't going to let her get away with it.

"Bethany, answer my question," I insisted. "Either that or leave and take your crazy plan with you."

"If you already know, what do you want me to say it?" she asked, still stalling.

"Because you need to hear yourself say it," I replied.

"That's silly!" she snapped, looking away. I gently took her shoulders and forced her to meet my gaze.

"Bethany, we love each other whether you say it or not," I said softly. "Saying it won't change anything, but I'd like to hear the words." We were very close to each other. I desperately wanted to kiss her, but it would be the wrong thing to do.

"Joe, I do love you," she finally said. I smiled and gave her a quick kiss.

"I knew it!" I laughed. "But it's nice to hear."

"Like you said," she said carefully. "It doesn't change anything."

"Nonsense!" I grinned. "It changes everything."

"You said..." she began, but I interrupted.

"Loving me doesn't mean you have to be with me," I interjected. "But if you love me, that means you know you should be."

"That's ridiculous!" She snapped. "We're not kids! We both know that isn't necessarily true. It wasn't for my first love. I married him and look what happened!"

"Bethany, I'm not your ex-husband," I replied, no longer smiling. "We belong together and we both know it. You're afraid. I get that. I'm afraid too."

"You are?" she asked in disbelief.

"Of course," I shrugged. "Love is a scary thing, especially for people our age." We both fell silent.

"So, where do we go from here?" Bethany asked.

"Why? To work of course!" I smiled. Now wasn't the time to push her any further, but the time would come.

"Are you serious?" she asked.

"It's a crazy plan that can't possible work, but it's better than sitting home! Besides, the two weeks will make me feel better even if Brad fires us when he comes back."

"It's still a little early to go into the office," Bethany said with a frown. I was tempted to suggest something else we could do, but again, now wasn't the time to push her.

"Let's see if we can catch Judy at home," I suggested. She nodded.

"What makes you so sure she'll accept my plan?" Bethany asked.

"I'm not," I shrugged. "But yesterday I went into the office to pick up my stuff. I ended up staying the day and helping out at her request." I proceeded to tell Bethany about my day at the office.

"I wish I'd had the guts to do that!" she said.

"Um, I hope you're prepared. Some of the people were a little ticked off," I warned. Bethany looked at me and shrugged. There really wasn't anything to say.

* * *

"Are you ready?" I asked once we parked in the office lot.

"I can't believe that Judy went for it so quickly," Bethany sighed.

"Her? What about Bradley?" I asked in disbelief.

"Are we really going to do this?" Bethany asked nervously.

"It was your idea," I smiled.

"Don't remind me!" she snapped. I laughed and pulled her into a quick kiss.

"Let's go," I said, leaving the car before she could comment on my action. We went into the building, up the elevator and entered the office.

"Good morning Sally," I said.

"It's good to have you both back," she replied. Bethany and I exchanged a look. That was quick. The rumor mill was open early today.

"It's nice to be back," Bethany smiled.

"By the way," Sally added with a smirk. "Early June is a beautiful time to get married."

"Is it now?" I grinned, covering for Bethany's shock.

"Well, yes," Sally replied. "Of course, it doesn't hurt that I have the first week in June for the company pool." Bethany and I moved past Sally without a word.

"Oh boy!" Bethany said once we were past Sally. "A company pool on us!"

"I wonder if there are any times left available?" I teased. Bethany shook her head.

"You're loving this!" she said. "It's not like we'd ever get married anyway."

"Of course we'll get married," I insisted. "That's what people who are in love do."

"Joe..." she began, but I cut her off.

"Later," I said. "We'll talk later. Now it's time to kick out whoever took over our offices."

No one was in either of our offices. Mine was just like I left it the day before. I wondered if it made sense to bring back my personal stuff. "Maybe tomorrow," I said to myself. The first thing I did, was gather everyone from my area for an impromptu status meeting.

"Look, I'm guessing most of you already know what's going on," I said once everyone was in the conference room. There were some frowns, but most of the people nodded. I shrugged. Those who didn't know would have to touch base with the others. I had no intention of going into details now.

"The bottom line is that I'm back until Brad senior returns. After that, we'll see," I added.

"That's mighty big of you," someone mumbled from the back. I sighed and ignored the comment.

"I want a full status report from each of you," I said. "I hear rumors that we're falling behind of one or two of the projects."

I could tell from a couple of people's expressions which projects were having difficulties. This was going to be an interesting day.

"I should also warn you that a couple of you will be getting more work dumped on you," I continued. There were groans. I smiled. "It shouldn't be too bad. Brian Halton will be helping out a lot more in the near future."

"When did that happen?" Helen asked.

"I met with him yesterday and worked out the details," I replied.

"Where is the new work coming from?" a woman named Claire asked.

"Actually, we have a couple of new clients coming on early next month, but that's not what I was talking about," I replied.

"Then what work are you talking about?" Clark asked.

"Yours," I smiled. "I'm shifting the bulk of your projects to other people. You are going to take over some of my responsibilities."

"That's not fair," Helen said, surprising me, until she clarified. "What if you stay? Is it really worth disrupting everything considering? Is it fair to Clark?"

"Yes, it is," I smiled. "I was going to do this anyway."

"Really?" Clark asked in surprise. I smiled and nodded.

"You've earned it," I said honestly. Clark smiled. There were a couple of unhappy faces, but the bulk of the people were happy for him.

"What's his new title?" Helen asked.

"It doesn't matter," Clark said quickly. "Let's wait until Brad gets back and see what happens."

"I don't see why?" I put in. "I already had Brad's buy in to promote you at the end of the month anyway. He won't have a problem with you now being an assistant director for the Implementation area," I replied.

I had actually planned on making Clark as assistant vice-president, but officially I was still only a director. I was supposed to be moved up to vice-president for a while before taking over for Brad, but who knew now.

"Thank you," Clark said, still sounding like he didn't quite accept it.

"Don't thank me yet," I grinned. "The title I can give you. The responsibility too, but we'll have to wait for Brad to return before we talk money." This caused some laughter as I intended.

I had a good idea what Clark's raise was going to be, but I hadn't finalized it with Brad yet before the whole fiasco occurred. Besides, it might change depending on Brad. The position I gave Clark was the lowest of the ones he could possibly end up with once Brad returned.

The rest of the status meeting took longer than usual, but not that much longer. The morning flew by. I joined Bradley, Judy and Bethany for lunch in his office as planned.

"How is your day going?" I asked the three of them to start the conversation going after we greeted each other.

"Much better than the last three days," Judy smiled. "I was actually able to work with my own people on some sales issues."

"And you?" I prompted Bethany.

JoeDreamer
JoeDreamer
6,324 Followers