Lilies and Roses

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When they pulled into the Elite parking lot, they saw the line at the door. "Wow, daddy," said Joan. "This place is packed tonight. Are you sure we can get in to eat?"

"Not to worry, sweetie," Ted replied, "I think they are waiting for us."

They got out of the car and started walking towards the entrance. It seemed as though that was some sort of signal, because Ted heard several car doors closing as their occupants got out. He paused at the end of a row of cars while Tabitha and her girls walked up to meet them.

Tabitha had a strapless silver gown with some sparkly things that shone as she moved. Her hair was in an upswept bun of some sort and she looked radiant. Both girls were a little self conscious in their new dresses and hair dos, but were gorgeous young ladies just like their mother.

Callie and Melissa were right behind her with huge smiles on their faces. They had their hair trimmed into some new mod style which flattered their faces, and both wore black sleeveless dresses which clung to their curves without being tight.

"Wow, I think we are going to make this a mandatory event from now on. I didn't know I was surrounded by all these gorgeous women."

Tabitha came up and gave him a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek. She then introduced her family to Ted, and then Ted reciprocated. Tabitha walked over to Timmy, gave him a hug, and whispered something in his ear. He blushed a bit but was smiling.

"Thank you for everything from me and the girls," she said while turning back to Ted. "I heard you got your papers at work."

Ted nodded and then said, "Yes, I did. How about you?"

Tabitha had a tear in her eye as she nodded. "They must have arranged the timing. He called the house when you left the building and gave me an ultimatum to be out by Sunday evening. He didn't even ask about the girls. Have you heard anything else?"

Others had quietly gathered around the group and Ted felt some the tension in the air as Tabitha finished speaking. He just shook his head.

Callie stepped in to Ted and gave him a big hug. "You big lug," she whispered. "I can't thank you enough for being you." She started to step back, but then turned and hit him on the shoulder like she was in junior high school again. "And don't ever do that again, either," she said, "and I'm not kidding. No more secrets, got that?"

Ted overacted a bit and rolled his eyes before he said, "Yes, dear. Whatever you say, dear. Can we go now?"

Tabitha giggled, then slid her hand into the crook of Ted's arm and said quietly, "Yes, let's go inside."

They turned and led the group into the entrance, walking past everyone who were waiting in line. Tabitha and Ted were in front followed by Sara and Jennifer. Then Timmy was flanked by Melissa and Joan. They placed their hands on Timmy's arms as Tabitha had done. They made a cute group and Timmy's smile said he was very happy. Callie held Jorge's arm as they brought up the rear with John and Martha Harvey and Betty.

They walked past the line of people who were waiting to get in, to the front where Fernando was waiting for them. Smiling, he greeted them, "Ted, Tabitha, how nice to see you again. Your area is waiting for you and most of your guests have already arrived. Please follow me."

Then he leaned towards Ted and dropped his voice saying, "That was a good idea you had concerning the television and VCR. We were able to get it installed on the wall in the corner. We put the controls on the podium, along with the tapes that you specified. I forwarded each tape to the place you suggested." He smiled at them, turned around, and started walking to the banquet area.

Ted and Tabitha led the parade across the dining area. The usual noise of people quietly conversing while dining died out as the other diners stopped eating and watched their progress. A large group of more than 20 tables had been arranged in parallel lines along the back wall. A podium was set up at the end of the tables next to the wall, making it a dais of sorts. The mayor and other dignitaries had already been seated at their tables. Ted, Tabitha, Joan, and Jorge were seated at a table while Sara, Jennifer, Timmy, and Melissa were seated at the table next to them. Seated at the last table were John and Martha Harvey, Betty, and Callie. The other tables were mostly Harvey Construction Company employees.

Ted held Tabitha's chair for her while Jorge held Joan's chair. Just then, Ted heard his name called. Turning to look around the room, he saw Megan and the group at their table. 'Fernando put them as far away from us as he could,' Ted thought. 'This was almost too funny.'

Ted said to Jorge, "Sitting here with us tonight is my daughter Joan," he started, "and at this table is my son Timmy." Timmy stood up to shake Jorge's hand.

Tabitha then introduced her three girls, Sara, Jennifer and Melissa.

Ted heard a snort behind him in concert with a rather loud gasp. Ted, Tabitha, and Jorge turned and looked at the people staring at them from across the room. Without saying a word, they all turned and sat back down at their table. Then Ted bounced back up and smiling at Tabitha he said, "Sorry, I just have to do this first. I'll be right back."

He walked slowly through the tables watching the little group in their dress up clothes. Wasn't it fortuitous that the next table had Jim and Joy Pound sitting with Jim and Stephanie Jensen. They all stared at him while he approached. He stopped at the table between Megan and Ron with his back to the others and smiled broadly.

"My, my, my," he said a little louder than was necessary. "Who do we have here tonight? Are you having a celebration of some sort? What a coincidence. As a matter of fact, we are having a celebration also. Too bad we were served with divorce papers today, or you could be sitting with us. But then again, I'm rather glad you aren't sitting with us. It would probably ruin my appetite."

Then he said to Megan, "May I say, dear, that is a beautiful dress. I haven't seen it before. I never knew that you liked to dress up as a high priced call girl. Tell me, did you get this dress the same time as the short black number with the slit skirt or that red dress with the gaping cleavage? We should discuss how you could afford these fancy clothes on my, as you called it, pathetic and insufficient salary. At the same time you could tell me why these clothes weren't kept at home. If you wish, you can tell me about running your 'escort service' from Gretel's house. Or is Gretel the madam? I'm just dying to know all the little sleazy details. It makes me happy that we didn't have a sex life anymore. Given your present company, I'm fortunate that I haven't caught anything. Meanwhile, I'm hungry and dinner is served."

As he turned back to their table, Ted heard Ron say loudly enough for most people in the area to hear, "Yeah, and I'm sure we'll all enjoy finding out how you could afford an Armani tuxedo on that same meager salary. Oh, wait, you were fired. This is going to be really fun."

Ted thought Greg's laugh was a little too loud and forced and thought he heard a comment about jail from the other table, but he just smiled back at them and went back to his seat.

As soon as everyone was seated and the drinks served, the waiters started serving the meal. Ted was seated with his back to the group, so he didn't have to deal with their looks. He did hear some comments from that area though, and he kept an eye on Tabitha. For her part, she just sat and smiled through the interesting table conversation. Ted didn't know if she heard any comments. She never looked that way, but focused on Ted's eyes when he talked. 'She has a lot of class to put up with that jerk,' Ted thought.

While dessert was being served, Mayor Jones stood up to address the banquet. Apparently the group at the tables behind Ted had slowed down as they were also receiving their desserts. Like all good politicians, the mayor spoke to everyone in the room which suited Ted just fine.

"If I could have your attention, please" he started out and then he proceeded to introduce the VIPs along the tables serving as the dais. Continuing on, he then welcomed Congressman Mendoza who was seated with the honorees this evening, and then Mr. and Mrs. Harvey. He gave his short speech congratulating Ted and Tabitha for their civic pride and then thanked them for their assistance in exposing a major criminal ring. Ted escorted Tabitha the few feet necessary to stand between Mayor Jones and the President of the Chamber of Commerce and were presented their plaques with hand shakes all around. The newspaper photographer took pictures while they received a very generous ovation, and then they all sat back down. Mayor Jones introduced the President of the Chamber of Commerce who spoke and then he introduced the Police Chief.

This routine continued until it was Congressman Mendoza's turn. He stepped up to the podium and said, "Ted, my very good friend. I will always appreciate your kindness and courtesy, not just to me, but my entire staff. You have always made a poor man feel welcome in your home and in your heart. Even though you are one of the richest men in the state, (this elicited a loud gasp from behind Ted) you have managed to keep your feet on the ground and your shoulder to the grindstone. Your success as a father is reflected in your children. I will always be your friend Ted, and I hope you will always be mine." After he introduced Mr. Harvey, he came over to the table and hugged Ted before he sat down. Ted felt Tabitha tighten up a little bit, and he smiled to help her relax.

Standing by the podium, Mr. Harvey took the microphone and waited for the crowd to quiet down. Some diners weren't associated with the festivities and a few people continued to move into and out of the restaurant, but Clark's group at both tables stayed put.

"We all know Ted as a hard working employee, a faithful and true family man, and one of the best friends any person could have," John said. "Tonight, I have a story to tell. Sorry Ted, but you can't stay in the background forever."

Ted nodded back at him and John continued on, "Most of you know that I started the Harvey Construction Company these many years ago and that Ted was one of the first employees I hired. Through the years, Ted has been there striving to make the Harvey Construction Company a major business force in this part of the state. He has dedicated his life to the company while trying to be the best husband and father possible."

He smiled while saying, "I know you already know that. Now, I'd like to share something that very few know. Most of you remember a time about 10 years ago when I suffered with some major health problems. Martha and I made it through those tough times, but I want to tell you all tonight, that we wouldn't have succeeded without Ted's generous help and support. As a matter of fact, we faced personal bankruptcy, financial ruin, and the company almost went under."

A collective intake of breath was heard throughout the room. At this point, John didn't need a microphone. He could have whispered and everyone would have heard him. "Ted," he continued while focusing on him, "Martha and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts and we want everyone here to know it."

Looking around the room again he continued on, "I had to sell the company, because there was no other way. Ted bought the company, paid our medical bills, and saved us from financial ruin. But Ted didn't just save us or the company. He made life better for all of us. Ted is the reason that the Harvey Construction Company is known as the best employer in the state concerning employee benefits, various insurance plans, and yes even the on-site day care program. During some lean years, he personally subsidized the entire program to keep it viable for our employees. But Ted did one other thing that meant more to me than any of that and it didn't cost a dime."

John paused a moment to regain his composure. The mayor offered him a glass of water which was received with a smile of thanks. Then looking directly at Ted he stated, "Ted, you gave back my self respect and my sense of self worth. I thank you for that."

Looking back at the room John said, "Ted insisted that I continue as President and CEO and not make an announcement of the ownership change. Yes, it was in the public records, but nobody ever asked the questions. Ted believed that the Harvey Construction Company had an operating advantage over all of our competitors. He insisted that our advantage was me and Martha. Anyone doing business with us knew what they were getting and were never short changed. Well, after tonight, I have no doubt that we will continue to have that edge."

Pausing a moment for a light round of applause, he then said, "I am announcing my retirement tonight. I wish to spend the rest of my time with my loving and faithful wife, Martha. As of Monday, Ted is the President and CEO of the Harvey Construction Company, as well as the owner. This banquet tonight is a feeble effort on my part to recognize his talents and contributions to the company as well as the community and publicly say 'Thank you Ted'. Now, please, I want to give you all a chance to say thank you to my best friend. Ted, would you please step up here?"

Here's an old cliché, 'The crowd went wild.' It was only a few steps to stand next to John Harvey, but the standing ovation lasted for close to 3 minutes. John offered his hand to Ted, but Ted would have none of that. He opened his arms and hugged John and could be seen talking in John's ear while John nodded. They separated and John went to sit by Martha, leaving Ted standing alone by the podium. Ted held out his hands and Joan and Timmy arose and went to stand with their father.

Even with Ted shaking his head and motioning people to sit down, they continued to applaud. His eyes looked a little misty and he saw Joan wipe a tear from her cheek. Everyone in the restaurant knew the Harvey Construction Company and it's strengths. More than a few people had been worried over the last few years as John's health slowly deteriorated as to just what would happen when he finally left. They were as much relieved as gratified and wanted Ted to know he was appreciated.

Ted looked around the room and saw many people he knew and had worked with over the years. Even Megan seemed to be smiling at him while applauding and looked like she had tears in her eyes. He wondered to himself how she was feeling right now knowing she had cheated and conspired against him.

Ron, Greg, and Gretel were applauding, but not quite so enthusiastically. He could see they were all recovering from the shock of John's announcements. The same for the Pounds and the Jensen's.

Tabitha, Jorge, and the kids were all pounding their hands together with huge smiles and teary eyes. Finally, he motioned for Joan and Timmy to go sit down as the crowd ran out of gas and began to sit down. They were all watching him, eager to hear what he had to say.

"Thank you for that warm ovation. It means a lot to me. As I told John those many years ago, I don't have time for meetings or conferences or any of the other duties or responsibilities associated with being in charge. I just want to be the best at what I do and if I can help out anyplace else, well, ok, but let me get back to work as soon as I can."

A burst of applause interrupted him and he waited for it to stop before continuing. "I've always believed what my grandparents told me when I was growing up. It isn't what you take with you when you go, it is what you leave behind you that counts. I think that was paraphrased into a country and western song a few years ago."

He smiled and got a few chuckles back. "I tried to be there for the company because the company has a responsibility to be there for its employees. Too many families depend on any given company any more and with the way all aspects of our lives are tied together, people that none of us will ever know are influenced by what we do and how well we act. You all heard John talk about me, but a few moments ago, Tabitha Clark also received a plaque. It has been our trial to work together to put things right," then he continued, "Tabitha, if you would step up here please."

Tabitha stepped up beside him and stood quietly. Then he said, "For those of you from out of state who don't know us, I would like to introduce my family. If you would please stand up again, my two great kids, Timmy and Joan."

He paused while they received a short ovation and then sat back down. "For those who don't know it already, Megan had me served with divorce papers this morning at work. She is sitting over there with her friends and lovers. Yes, plural. To both."

He noted more than a few surprised looks throughout the audience.

Tabitha then took the microphone. "Thank you, Ted. First of all I would like to thank everyone who cared enough to come here to be with us and enjoy this evening's events. I would also like to thank Mayor Jones and the other people here for taking time from their busy schedules to help us celebrate. I would like to introduce my daughters, Sara, Jennifer, and Melissa."

The girls stood for their applause while she waited for the ovation to end. Then she continued, "Also at that table with Ted's ex-wife is my ex-husband, Ron. Yes, I received my divorce papers the same time as Ted. I would also like to point out Ron and Megan's friends, Greg and Gretel Howard. At the table next to them are Jim Pound, Jim Jensen and their wives." Ron, Greg, Gretel, and the two Jims just sat there glaring at Tabitha and Ted. Megan looked at the table. Stephanie and Joy just looked embarrassed. Somebody in the back clapped but was quickly hushed.

Tabitha handed the microphone back to Ted, but stood with her hand in the crook of his arm. Looking at Timmy, Ted said, "My son Timmy has asked for a moment to speak, and as this is a night for surprises, I agreed. Ok, Timmy, your turn."

Timmy stepped up to his dad and took the microphone. Looking around the room and lastly toward his mom he said, "Thanks dad. This should only take a moment."

Timmy then stepped to the table where Melissa was seated. He took her hand as he kneeled down beside her chair. "I'm not good at speeches," he said, "so I'll keep it short. Melissa, will you marry me?"

The room got real quiet and nobody moved. Then Melissa motioned for the microphone and after he handed it to her she said, "I'm not into speeches either. Yes, I will marry you."

Timmy reached into his coat pocket, took out a ring, and placed it on her finger. Then as he stood up, Melissa stood up with him and they embraced while everyone applauded.

Ted looked over at the other table. Ron was rather calm looking, but then he hadn't asked for the girls. Megan had tears running down her smiling face. She had been surprised when it happened, but was happy for Timmy now. It seemed so sad that while they were out thinking only of themselves, they had lost contact with their families.

Ted retrieved the microphone and went back to the podium. Tabitha went back to her chair while the newly engaged couple sat holding hands at their table.

Ted looked around the room, paused a second, then squared his shoulders and stated, "It is now my unfortunate duty to inform all of you that the Harvey Construction Company has been under attack for more than 8 months. Indeed, this whole town has been an unknowing target and is being victimized, all in the name of greed. Tabitha and I received plaques for exposing the criminal elements responsible as well as the crime. Tonight, all of the members of this group will be arrested. Plain clothes detectives are seated in the dining area, and uniformed policemen are at all the doors. You all know who you are, so please remain seated."