All Comments on 'Letters From the Hesperus'

by BlackShanglan

Sort by:
  • 29 Comments
smoochypigsmoochypigover 19 years ago
Great work!

This is such a brilliant piece with great imagery and detail. There is so much more to this than the gay category listing suggests; The writing style, the characters, the setting are all beautifully crafted. It remains an exciting, stirring piece that yields surprise after surprise even on the 3rd reading! Another fine work :)

neonlyteneonlyteover 19 years ago
Heroic

Brilliant writing. Evocative and tender.

You display great story-telling skill and weave words that light the images you paint.

You fully deserve the 'E'

SlickTonySlickTonyover 19 years ago
Outstanding

This is superior to many of the stories I've read in this 'zine, which I've been reading for several years. The dialect of the period sounds authentic, and it was a great love story, besides.

widespreadinterestswidespreadinterestsover 19 years ago
Astounding.

The best I have ever read on this site, and better than most of what I read generally. Thank you for an amazing and moving experience.

BooMerengueBooMerengueover 19 years ago
!

This is wonderfully written; something now for me to emulate! Thanks!

Black TulipBlack Tulipover 19 years ago
Repeating

Repeating my comments in public: the emotions are powerful and you pull your readers along. Beautifully written, smooth reading. The E is totally deserved.

carsonshepherdcarsonshepherdover 19 years ago
Lovely.

What more can I say that I haven't already? Fan-fucking-tastic.

impressiveimpressiveover 19 years ago
Brilliant!

Gut wrenching, yet incredibly hot. The "E" is for EXCELLENT, EXEMPLARY, EXQUISITE, ENTICING, EXTRAORDINARY -- and ENVY ;o)

AnonymousAnonymousover 19 years ago
Well deserved E

A wonderful story, beautifully written. Loved every word of it!

AnonymousAnonymousover 19 years ago
Beautiful

That was just an incredible story. Sensual, sexual and pure. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 19 years ago
Sad but beautiful

This story was so beautifully written. I was transported back to the era which it occurred. I like the characters and especially Richard, whose torment was revealed clearly by the fact that his wife Marie had passed on. His love for his wife mixed with the love for Tom. I like this transferrence a lot. It made the story a bit more realistic. Good Job!

Bridget69Bridget69about 19 years ago
Outstanding!

A touching story of grief, longing and mutual comfort found within boundless passion. I loved the comparisons made between Marie and Tom. It was lyrical and provocative without the need to become vulgar. Loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
A Work of Art

That was an enchanting story...I dissolved into tears at the final sentence, but felt many emotions throughout. Erotic, delicately balanced, and beautiful.

Dar~Dar~about 19 years ago
Inticingly well written.

I got so wrapped up in the writing (like poetry) that I almost couldn't break away back to reality. An enchanting gorgeous work of love and passion.

Evil AlpacaEvil Alpacaabout 19 years ago
Okay, okay, it's brilliant . . .

Fine! Just write a brilliant and enchanting piece of erotic fiction! See if I get jealous . . . *mope* . . . :D

In all honesty, a sweet, heart-wrenching yet uplifting saga that needs no one to herald its power, but I feel inclined to do so anyway.

minsueminsueabout 19 years ago
You shine, Shanglan

How is it that I'd never read this before? My awe of your writing grows with leaps and bounds.

pope32767pope32767about 19 years ago
An idyll by itself, a horror by implication

Brrrrrr! When I think what's going to happen to these characters, and what terrible acts they commit, and what their final fate is, I really wonder if this story shouldn't have been classified as "Erotic Horror". (Of course Longfellow had to censor the most shocking aspect of the tale for his Victorian audience.) It's no wonder at all that Richard winds up absolutely mad by the end.

Brilliantly done! A more than worthy counterpart to your generally upbeat piece on Pope.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
Sweet solace

Your words capture, for me, such sweet assuage in another's arms.

Brilliant.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
Comments

The language used seemed very authentic of the era. Unfortunately, this kind of language has always grates at my nerves for some reason. Still, the mystery plot was wonderful. A courageous and unique theme. The fact that you attempted it clearly shows just how much your writing is a cut above the rest...

Um, to the commentator about Richard going mad in the end... read again, guy. Its the other way around. He's mad in the beginning, and then recovers in the end thanks to Tom.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Intriguing

Epistolary stories can be very difficult to execute, and this one, being really a single viewpoint, was a little confusing. I got lost in tenses and time here and there. I'm still not certain I caught on to the plot of the story, but I let all that go with the language. At times it was almost a little too much, but it was very strong and evocative. For me, the story was more a mood or a visual presentation (probably because I lost the plot thread in the narrator's desire to be secretive or inability to admit something). It was very beautiful and effective in doing those two things.

I'll look for more of your stories. Thank you for sharing this one.

Emerald_DragonEmerald_Dragonalmost 17 years ago
Wow

I never thought that I would like a story in the form of letters. It was truly good though. I really liked it.

logodaedeluslogodaedelusalmost 17 years ago
Whoa

I was uncertain at first how you were going to make it work, but after the fifth letter or so, I couldn't stop reading. An excellent job, I must say.

unpredictablebijouunpredictablebijoualmost 17 years ago
Phenomenal

I really thought epistolary fiction was a lost art. Thanks for proving me wrong.

angelicminxangelicminxalmost 17 years ago
I thought I'd left a comment long ago...

...but I was obviously wrong. This piece is proof that an epistolary story can be written well. I was reminded of this piece on the SDC, and for that I am thankful. You are a writer in a class of your own, Shanglan.

I loved watching the madness grow, the torment escalate, and the final acceptance of truth. Thank you, Shang, for sharing your phenomenal talent. *Hug* ~Minx

diamonds4pearlsdiamonds4pearlsabout 15 years ago
well, very well written.

thank you very much. I enjoyed the piece quite a bit. As well as an earlier piece- the one with the autistic (maybe?) man.

MlledeLaPlumeBleuMlledeLaPlumeBleuover 14 years ago
Kindred prose that resonates.

I still adore this. But then you know that. How the hell did I fail to laud it here in the comments on the first reading? No matter; I redress that now.

(Oddly, it was listening to Procol Harum's "Wreck of the Hesperus" that made me think of it and want to read it again.)

Beautiful, evocative, passionate and ultimately transcendent.

mlle

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Brilliant and Beautiful

There are few pieces on this site that rank with this one. Thank you so much for sharing your extraordinary gift. Note perfect from beginning to end!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
You broke my heart

And then put it together again. This story was lovely, thank you.

TimothyMTimothyMover 11 years ago

Absolutely amazing how you kept both the letter concept and the literary style of the period throughout the whole story. Of course he would write to his wife in this way, not saying the crude words that men might use amongst themselves.

This story reminds me of Carizabeth's Captain trilogy, so I would recommend that for anyone who enjoyed this story. And I wish you had written more than the few stories shown here.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous