It's About Time

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Tony155
Tony155
1,227 Followers

He looked at Erin thoughtfully. "I truly don't know. I haven't given it any thought for such a long time." He laughed. "I probably wouldn't know what to do!"

"I don't think you'd have any trouble."

"Maybe not," he said, looking directly at her, "but if I did date again, it would have to be with someone very special."

Erin smiled to herself thinking perhaps he was sending a signal to her. At least she thought it was a signal. She slowly placed her hand upon his and squeezed tenderly.

"Anyone who dates you would be very lucky, indeed." She smiled at him again. "How about us continuing this walk. I need to stretch my legs."

"Sure."

Troy stood up quickly and extended his hand to her, helping her up from the bench. They went through the park and ended up in an adjacent neighborhood. This area resembled her parents neighborhood, but appeared to be more shady. They were quiet for the first time all day since he arrived, but it wasn't awkward. Within minutes, Erin linked her arm through his as if it were the most natural thing in the world to do. Troy smiled at her, amused by her actions, but liking it very much. It was a comforting feeling having her by his side and walking arm in arm. He hadn't felt this relaxed with a woman since Amy.

My God, he thought to himself, had it been that long since he thoroughly enjoyed the company of a woman? Had he really put his life on hold that long? He sighed lightly and shook his head.

Erin instantly picked up on it. "Is there something wrong?" she asked.

"No," he said, "there's nothing wrong. I was just thinking about things, that's all."

"What things?"

"Us, I guess. I'm just having a really good time being with you. We haven't talked this much since we were kids."

Erin stopped walking and looked at him. "We've got all night to talk." She looked down for a moment, then back to him. "Can I be totally honest with you?"

"Of course you can." He wondered what she was going to say.

"What I said earlier about lousy timing on my part....I meant every word of it. Once I got into my first marriage, there wasn't a day that went by that I didn't regret not dating you. It's the not knowing what might or could have been between us that's killing me, don't you see that?"

"That's in the past," he said. "We can't change that. You did what you did. I did what I did. We lived our own lives."

"I know we can't change that." She looked at him helplessly. "But, I was hoping perhaps I could change my luck with you after all these years. I was hoping so bad that you'd come so I could tell you how I feel. I didn't know what I would have done if you hadn't come today."

"I'm getting the feeling you would have found some other way."

Erin laughed softly. "You're probably right."

Troy looked at her seriously. "Have you really been beating yourself up over this all these years?"

Erin shrugged her shoulders. "Not all the time," she admitted, "but enough to make myself miserable at times."

"Damn," he muttered. He really didn't know what else to say.

"So, I thought if you came today, we could talk and get to know each other again." She looked down at her shoes, embarrassed. "I've always liked you, Troy." Erin looked back into his eyes, her own green eyes turning misty. "Sometimes, I think I love you..."

"You love me?" he asked incredulously.

Erin nodded. "Sounds kind of silly, doesn't it? We've only seen each other a handful of times in twenty odd years, yet I think I love you." She turned to walk away. "I guess I'm making a fool of myself again."

Troy touched her arm and waited until she turned back to him. He could see tears welling and it reminded him of the time when they were roller skating together down a steep hill. Erin wiped out and opened a nasty cut on her knee. The look in her eyes were the same; pain and fear. He stared at her eyes and could almost imagine looking at her as a twelve year old again. Troy couldn't help but to smile.

Perplexed, Erin asked, "What are you smiling at?"

"Oh," he explained, "just a memory." He pulled her to him and hugged her lightly. "I guess there's always been a place in my heart for you, Erin. It's funny how things turn out."

"What do you mean?"

Troy nodded and looked away, knowing that even though they were free to be together, fate had intervened once again. The pain of a lost love shown in his eyes again. Troy shrugged and smiled sheepishly.

"You'll be leaving for West Virginia pretty soon, won't you?"

"I'll be here for a few days," she replied, smiling inside.

"So, what happens when you go back? Do we just go on our merry way and hope to see each other in a few years or so? Do we visit each other on weekends?"

"I think we can work around that."

"What do you mean? I can't just pick up and move to West Virginia. You can't either...."

"I already have," she interrupted.

"What?" he asked, not believing what he heard.

"I already have," she said softly. "Do you think I'm going to let you go now? If you do, you're crazy." She touched his face. "When the house is sold, I'm coming back for good. I've had some preliminary interviews with the school district and I think I can get a job teaching here. Mom and dad said I can live with them until I get settled. What do you say to that?"

Troy smiled broadly and was speechless for a few seconds. Laughing, he said, "It's about time we got this right!"

* * * * *

It was well past midnight and all the guests had left hours before. The house was quiet and mostly dark with only a few night lights shining to show the way. Erin and Troy were sitting on the back porch swing admiring the star lit evening and listening to the crickets chirp. Their hands had found each other hours before and it felt good and natural.

Troy checked his watch and was not surprised to find it was after two o'clock. Even though he was excited from the events of the day, his body was weary and he still had a drive ahead of him.

"I should be going," he said softly, almost afraid to break the spell of a magical day.

"I don't want to let you go," Erin replied, holding his hand tighter as if she meant to keep him there. "I'll walk you to your car," she said finally.

Tiredly, they got up and began to walk slowly into the night. Hand in hand, they strolled the tree lined street as a gentle breeze swayed the branches to and fro. Within minutes, they reached his car and Troy now wished he had parked further away.

"Come on," he said, "I'll drive you back to the house."

"It's not far. I'd rather walk."

"You're sure?"

"Yeah."

His back was against his car door as he looked at her. A peaceful smile was etched upon her face and her shining eyes matched his own. Hundreds of thoughts raced through his mind, jumbled so that he had trouble sorting them. So many unexpected things happened that day and lifetime dreams he hoped would happen were possibly coming true.

Troy laughed lightly, breaking the awkward silence that had come upon them. "You know, I didn't even congratulate your folks on their anniversary!"

"I'm sure they didn't mind," Erin giggled.

"This was some day, wasn't it?"

"Yeah, it was the best," she agreed. "You're stopping by again, aren't you?"

"You know I will. I can't let you go home that easily. Not after this."

"I was hoping you'd say that." Erin glanced down for a second as she bit her bottom lip nervously. "There's one more thing I need to ask you before you go."

"What is it?"

"Would you please kiss me so I know what I've been missing all these years?"

Without speaking, Troy pushed away from his car and leaned forward. He placed his hands lightly on her shoulders and gently pulled her to him.

"I've wanted to do this for a long time," he whispered before he kissed her.

He was gentle and tentative at first, barely touching her lips with his own. It was Erin who took charge, pressing herself against him and caressing his face with her hands. Troy relaxed as he continued to kiss her, his hands moving to her back and holding her to him.

Erin felt her knees go weak and her heartbeat race from all the emotions going through her. After all these years, it had finally happened for them. Maybe that was the plan after all. Perhaps this was the time they were supposed to be together. She didn't dare question it for fear of it being taken away from her.

They stared at each other long after the kiss was broken, each trying to read the other's thoughts. No words were spoken and none were needed. Erin's eyes sparkled and she looked skyward to try to avoid crying. That was the last thing she wanted to do.

"I've wanted to feel that for such a long time," she whispered finally. "It was just as wonderful as I imagined." She touched his face lightly. "I was such an idiot!"

"Not anymore," he laughed. He took her in his arms and hugged her tight, kissing her cheek as he did. "I guess we finally wised up, didn't we?"

Erin smiled. "I wised up. You were always there for me. I was just too stupid to realize it until it was too late."

"It's never too late. Especially now."

He let her go, but not before brushing aside a stray tear with his thumb. "No more crying and no more regrets. I think we've done enough of that in our lives."

Erin nodded.

"Would you believe me if I told you something?" he asked.

She nodded again, wordlessly, her eyes still shining.

"I love you, Erin Mackay."

Erin's mouth trembled slightly from what she heard. She had waited to hear those sweet words from him for almost thirty years. The joy it brought her was immeasurable and she thought she might burst from happiness at any second. She giggled like a school girl as if she were fifteen again. She had almost forgotten what it was like to feel this good.

Erin drew him close until they were mere inches apart. She stared into his soft brown eyes momentarily before saying, "Kiss me again and tell me about it."

Tony155
Tony155
1,227 Followers
12