In the Year of Our Lord, 1684

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Tony155
Tony155
1,227 Followers

June turned into July and soon, it was time for Gregor to begin his trek to Kesse to attend his future sister-in-law's wedding. Of course, his main objective in his journey was to see Ingrid again. Although she tried to remain cheerful in her letters, they were becoming more and more tense and serious. Hopefully, his two week stay would help remedy that.

In the days leading up to Gregor's departure, Aleksander appeared to be in better spirits, although he had slowed down even more than before. His bouts with stomach pain continued, but now even the medicine given by the physician did not help all of the time. As his departure date neared, Gregor was hesitant to leave, feeling he should stay and be with his father. It was Aleksander who insisted he go to Kesse for the festivities.

"You must go," he commanded. "I am not going anywhere. I will be here when you return." He placed his hand on Gregor's shoulder for assurance. "I am not ready to be with your mother just yet. I have too much to accomplish."

With that, Gregor decided to attend as planned. Although he was still uneasy about leaving, he knew Ingrid would be most pleased and he could not imagine not seeing her until their engagement ball.

He left before sunrise in order to arrive as early as possible the following day. It normally was a leisurely three day trip to Kesse, but two days travel was more than enough for Gregor who wanted to arrive as quickly as possible. It had been a while since he traveled, perhaps two or three years before when they went to his uncle's funeral in Chesterdorf, a small hamlet in Frankreich. Sailing never appealed to Gregor, but he could put up with it in order to see Ingrid. The sky was bright, clear and breezy; outstanding weather for sailing.

That evening, they anchored near Coluschdia, across the Dark Sea to the north. It rained that night, a soft summer rain which brightened Gregor's spirits as he thought of nothing else than to have Ingrid in his arms and tell her how much he missed her and loved her. He fell soundly asleep as the gentle waves rocked him as lovingly as his own mother did when he was young.

He woke early the next morning as the anchor was pulled from the sea's bottom. The sky was overcast and threatening rain, but otherwise it would be a good day. Having perhaps twelve hours of traveling before they reached the castle in Kesse, Gregor set about writing a letter to his father. In it, he would tell him of everything that happened through the wedding. He would send it by courier the day aft. It would almost be a journal of sorts, a diary, if you will of his adventures. It would help him get through the long hours of monotonous sailing and carriage riding he would encounter.

Gregor would eat light that day as to not aggravate his stomach, for sometimes the waves played tricks with him and sometimes not. Every once in a while, it would rain lightly, a drizzle and no more. By late afternoon, the land of Kesse was sighted. When they dropped anchor, Gregor looked out to see Ingrid's land for the first time. It vaguely reminded him of Ruudania, but he would have to see more of it to formulate a learned opinion. Once on land, his luggage was brought ashore and stowed on a nearby wagon that was behind a fine carriage drawn by four white horses. Although slightly disappointed at not seeing Ingrid, he understood that she could not be expected to wait an undetermined amount of time for his arrival.

Gregor was greeted by a sharply dressed man in regimental uniform. "I am Captain Kraemer of His Royal Majesty's personal regiment. He sends his greetings and hopes you had a safe and pleasant trip thus far." Captain Kraemer extended his hand and Gregor took it, shaking it firmly.

"You speak Ruudanian very well, sir," Gregor remarked. "Perhaps you may tutor Princess Ingrid in my language."

"You are kind to say so, sir, but the princess has a tutor who is much more learned than I in linguistics."

"Has she?" Gregor asked. She had mentioned nothing of learning his language in her letters.

"Oh, yes sir. I hear she practices day and night."

"That will be wonderful to hear."

The captain gestured to the carriage. "Shall we begin, sir? We still have time to arrive at the castle before sunset."

"Yes, lead the way."

The ride through the Kessian countryside was refreshing as well as rewarding. It was a beautiful country and it reminded Gregor of his morning jaunts with Storm. As they passed various villages, peasants and landowners alike stopped what they were doing to bow, curtsy, and wave to Gregor. Everyone was anxious to get a glimpse of the prince betrothed to Princess Ingrid. Enjoying the sights and sounds, Gregor smiled and waved back

As they neared the castle, scouts were sent ahead to relay the news of his arrival. The castle was a magnificent structure with many levels. It had been decorated with flags, ribbons, and banners for the wedding. Once inside the gates, the carriage pulled to a stop near a large oak door. The doors were opened wide and a large bearded man in royal finery stepped out and was followed by Helga, Ingrid, and a stunningly beautiful girl Gregor assumed to be Ingrid's sister, Maria.

The door to the carriage was opened and Gregor stepped out. He glanced at Ingrid for a second, before bowing to King Wilhelm. She looked even prettier than he remembered.

"It is an honor to meet you, Your Majesty," Gregor said in a calm voice. Wilhelm was not a tall man, but nonetheless imposing.

"It is an honor for me as well," Wilhelm replied. "I was curious to meet the man who will marry our Ingrid and now my curiosity is sated. Welcome to Kesse, my lad!" he boomed as he shook Gregor's hand.

Gregor then bowed to Helga and kissed her hand. Looking bored beyond belief, Maria stepped forward and extended her hand as well. Gregor bowed, then kissed her hand, too. Maria pulled her hand back distastefully as if a common beggar had kissed it. Ingrid seethed within, but said nothing about her sister's utter lack of respect. She glared at her for but a second before turning her attention to Gregor as he stepped to her.

"It has been too long, my dear," he said as he kissed her hand. His lips lingered there far longer than they had with Helga's or Maria's. He looked directly into Ingrid's eyes until he let go of her hand.

"Yes, it has, Gregor," Ingrid replied softly. She wished she could wrap her arms around his neck and kiss him, but that was not proper. Maria rolled her eyes impatiently.

"Well," announced Wilhelm, "let us go inside and dine. I am sure our guest is famished by now." He led them all into the castle with Ingrid and Gregor trailing.

Gregor took Ingrid's hand and squeezed lightly as they walked through room after room until they came to an expansive dining room. They were seated at a large table near the front with Gregor and Ingrid seated next to each other. Gregor liked this arrangement much better than at his home.

Presently, Wilhelm rose and tapped his goblet with his spoon until everyone was quiet. He looked at Gregor and Ingrid before he spoke.

"It is with much pleasure that I sit and dine with you, Gregor. You are a fine young man and I welcome you to this family." He tipped his goblet in their direction before downing his wine in one gulp. There were murmurs of approval as everyone else sipped from their goblets.

Maria sat next to her mother across from Ingrid and Gregor. She did not want to be there, did not want to be with Ingrid and her fiancé who was taking her parent's attention from her. It wasshewho was to be wed in just a few days, but Ingrid had arranged to take that attention away from her as well. She tried all week to spite Ingrid and let her know how displeased she was with Gregor's presence at her wedding. He was next in line to the throne in Ruudania while Phillippe was quite far down the list in his native land of Saffarne. Phillippe's father was the youngest of six brothers, so Phillippe was perhaps twentieth in line. He would never become king, she thought sadly, but one could not receive everything one wanted with an arranged marriage. Kesse and Saffarne had never been friendly throughout their histories and things were more tense these days. When the king of Saffarne proposed a marriage between Phillippe and Maria, Wilhelm jumped at the opportunity to soothe the tensions between the two countries.

So, Maria could not help but be jealous of her sister in that regard, but she had everything else that Ingrid did not. She was much prettier than her sister and never hesitated to remind her of it. She gloated triumphantly upon her engagement at the age of sixteen when no one had so much given any interest at all to Ingrid. When Maria saw Gregor's portrait, she could not help but feel that her Phillippe was much handsomer and more robust than the tall, thin Gregor. Yes, she had won again when she saw him in person. She had definitely received the better of the deal.

"I do pray you had a pleasant trip," Ingrid was saying to Gregor as Maria broke from her thoughts.

"It went as well as could be expected," he replied.

"How is your father?"

"He is not well," he answered sadly. "He seems to become weaker with each passing day, yet there are times when he appears quite well. It is strange." He shook his head sorrowfully.

Ingrid placed her hand upon his. "I am so sorry, Gregor. I wish there was something to help him feel better." Her eyes were downcast as she conveyed her heartfelt pain.

"So do I."

The meal was pleasant nonetheless as they spoke of more jovial topics. Maria excused herself early and the air became less heavy almost instantly. As the sun set over the land, the meal was completed and everyone retreated to the library where Wilhelm sat at a desk reading and Helga began to sew. Ingrid and Gregor sat awkwardly on a couch and tried to make conversation, but it was not private enough to suit them.

"Mother," Ingrid said suddenly as an idea came to her, "may I show Gregor the rest of the castle?"

Helga smiled to herself as she knew her daughter's real intentions. It amused her, yet she understood perfectly. They needed time to be alone and talk privately. It was not that long ago when she was young.

Without looking up, she said, "It is late and your bedtime is soon, so do not dawdle into the wee hours. I expect you in your room within the hour." She then looked up to them. "You might show Gregor where his sleeping quarters will be. I pray his luggage has been placed there already."

"I will, mother. Thank you."

Ingrid took Gregor's hand and led him out of the library. Without speaking, they turned down various corridors and hallways until they were far away from her parents and the servants. She opened a door to their right and she pulled him into the candle lit room. In front of the large master bed was his luggage as per Helga's orders and the bed itself had been turned down. The one large window overlooked an orchard and beyond that was the riding stables.

Once inside, Ingrid turned to Gregor and hugged him tight. She buried her face into his chest and cried as Gregor held her close and stroked her neck affectionately with his hand. Gregor almost expected this reaction from her as her letters had indicated how sad she had been since she left Ruudania.

"There, there, my love," he said gently. "Everything is fine. Do not cry and wear yourself out. We have so much to talk about."

He tenderly lifted her chin from his chest and while looking deeply into her tired blue eyes, he bent down and kissed her. It was a long, passionate kiss that seemed to last forever and that was exactly what Ingrid needed at that time. All of her troubles, sadness, and anger melted away and nothing was left except the love and tenderness Gregor was providing.

"Oh, how I missed you so!" Ingrid cried when the kiss ended. "I do not think I could have stood another day without you." She hugged him once more and sighed heavily.

"I am here now and that is all that matters," Gregor replied while smoothing stray strands of hair from her face. He liked the feel of her hair. While it was full and wavy, it still had the texture of fine silk. "I so missed seeing that pretty face of yours every day. I missed your laugh and the funny way you look when you try to be angry with me."

"How do I look funny?" she asked.

"You wrinkle your nose and put your hands on your hips. Then, you stomp your foot indignantly as if I had done something utterly horrible to offend you."

Ingrid smiled. "I have not been angry with you, Gregor. I do not ever think I could be angry with you."

"Nor could I be angry with you, my dear Ingrid." He looked around the room. "This is very nice. You have gone to a lot of trouble to accommodate me."

"No more than what you did for me in Ruudania. Our rooms were lovely." She took his hand and led him to the window. It was a partly cloudy evening and the moon was partially covered.

"I remember our last night together as if it was yesterday," Ingrid sighed. "You kissed me under the stars and I could not possibly think I could have loved you more than at that moment." She looked at the moon then back to Gregor. "But, I was wrong. So very wrong, my darling. From the moment I saw you emerge from the carriage, I could scarcely contain myself. I wanted to push everyone aside and throw myself into your arms and kiss you forever."

"And what is stopping you from doing that now?" Gregor asked mischievously.

Ingrid blushed slightly and giggled. "Nothing, my love, nothing at all." She then drew him close once again and kissed him in a way to show him how much she loved and missed him.

As per her mother's instruction, Ingrid left his side within the hour of their departure from the library. "Sleep well, my love," she said while holding his hand. "My room is on the left near the staircase."

"Are you trying to tempt me, Ingrid," he asked with an eyebrow raised.

Ingrid face turned a bright red that matched her hair. "I would not suggest such a thing," she replied softly, smiling. "I was merely stating a fact. It is you who are having impure thoughts." She poked him lightly in his chest with her finger to emphasize her point.

"They will not be impure once we are married," he answered.

"We will have to see about that. I may have to lock my door."

"Now or when we are married?" he inquired.

"Both!" she laughed. She looked down for a moment deep in thought. Ingrid then looked back at Gregor with a serious face. "That was wrong of me to say such a thing."

"I do not understand," Gregor said. "It was funny."

"When we are married," she said solemnly, "I will welcome you into my bed,ourbed, from our first night together. That, I promise you." Her eyes studied his reaction.

It was bold of her to say such a thing and perhaps it was somewhat scandalous for her to think in that way, considering the times, but Gregor could already tell Ingrid would not be bashful about showing her love for him, especially in the bedroom.

"It will be a very special night for us, indeed," he said calmly although his emotions were high.

"Yes, it will."

Her insides began to flutter much like when they kissed as she thought about spending their first night together as man and wife. She and her mother had never had what could be construed as a true 'mother and daughter talk' when it came to a husband and wife sharing a marital bed although she had a vague idea of what transpired between a married couple under the blankets. Ingrid thought perhaps they would have a private talk once her wedding neared, but she was not certain about that.

It was her mother, however, who explained patiently the changes that happened to her when she began to transform from a girl to a woman. It comforted her to know why her chest was becoming bigger and why blood appeared in her undergarments. She loved her mother for explaining those critical moments in her life and she suspected the same would happen shortly.

Although she was puzzled by the strange sensations she felt, Ingrid welcomed them as she interpreted them as being a gift from Gregor when they kissed. But, she could not explain why she felt them when they were not kissing, such as now when she thought of them sharing a bed. Sometimes, she felt them when she carefully cleansed herself between her legs while bathing. She thought about asking her mother, but she correctly concluded it was something that should not be discussed.

"Are you all right?" Gregor asked. "You look flushed."

"Do I? I am fine, really," Ingrid stammered as she came back to reality. "I should be going."

"I will see at breakfast, then?"

"Yes, Gregor. I will see you at breakfast. I love you, Gregor." She leaned forward and kissed his cheek, his rough stubble scratching her lips slightly.

"Goodnight, my love," he said before kissing her cheek as well.

Ingrid walked quickly down the corridor until she reached her room. Slowly, she turned back to Gregor and smiled as he had obviously not taken his eyes off of her. She gave him a small wave before disappearing into her room and shutting the door behind her.

It was early in the morning when Gregor woke. He was fully awake and the sun had yet to rise. All was quiet and he knew sleep would elude him until evening, so he got up and dressed for the day. As was his custom for the past few months, Gregor either walked the grounds or rode Storm to greet the day. Since his horse was in Ruudania, he decided upon a walk to the stables and thought an inspection of the palace steeds would be in order.

The morning air was already warm and a hint of rain threatened to wet the earth soon, but Gregor's spirits were high as he would be seeing Ingrid soon again. His soft boots crunched against the rock covered path to the stables as he strode purposefully to the entrance. He opened the door and stiffened to see Maria standing in front of him smiling. She was wearing a long, flowing robe that completely covered her nightgown.

"I heard you liked horses," Maria said innocently. "I thought you might visit."

"I just wanted to have a look at them," he stammered nervously, the door still held open with his hand. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same question. Could you not sleep? I should say not after the way you and Ingrid were kissing last night. I know I could not sleep if you kissed me like that." She stepped closer to him.

"You saw us kissing?" he asked.

"Yes," she answered, laughing wickedly. "It is easy to be unseen in that hallway. Of course, you were too busy to notice."

"Do you enjoy spying on your sister?"

"It was not spying," Maria replied, trying to defend herself. "I was coming out of my room when I heard the two of you approaching. What was I to do?" she asked innocently. "I had to make sure my dear sister was behaving herself. I certainly would not want any vicious rumors to start before her wedding, now would I?"

"We did nothing wrong," Gregor said, his voice showing just a hint of anger. How dare she say such a thing!

"No, no, of course you did not do anything wrong. Thank goodness for that! What would everyone think? Poor Ingrid was improper before her marriage? No, we could not have that, could we?" Maria shook her head back and forth and smiled malevolently. "So, Gregor," she continued as she stepped forward, "do you find me attractive? Surely, you find me more attractive than Ingrid."

"Why are you doing this?" he asked while taking a step backward. "What possible thing could you gain by being this way?"

"I have no idea what you are talking about," she lied. "I asked you a simple question. Do you find me attractive?"

"Why would you ask such a thing? You are to be married to Phillippe in two days."

"That has nothing to do with the question I asked."

Tony155
Tony155
1,227 Followers
1...34567...12