All Comments on 'Finding Nonny'

by sack

Sort by:
  • 36 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
You always

write so beautifully Sack, I don't know how I could make an impression at all. This was a wonderful story with a happy ending. It hit home for me because I had a Grandmother who died from a stroke after many years of not knowing who any of us were. Great story, good luck with the contest, Sack.

Extreme BohunkExtreme Bohunkover 18 years ago
Great!

Wonderful job of showing the confused mindset.

Selena_KittSelena_Kittover 18 years ago
Poignant

This is a moving piece, thanks for sharing it.

Tony155Tony155over 18 years ago
Nicely done.

As always, you find a way to write a poignant, touching story that hits close to home for many readers. Thanks for sharing.

Black TulipBlack Tulipover 18 years ago
Touching

story. Thank you for sharing it.

Good luck.

Black Tulip

impressiveimpressiveover 18 years ago
Another tear jerker

Sack, you loooooooooove to make people cry. Not sure why I like that about you. Happy holidays & good luck in the contest. ~Imp

AliyahlovinsexAliyahlovinsexover 18 years ago
Another tearjerker...

Wow, sack... Just when I thought I couldn't get any sadder. My grandfather had alzheimer's (sp) so this hit close to home for me too. Wonderfully told, and perfect for the holiday.

Good luck and Happy Holidays,

Ali

dreampilot79dreampilot79over 18 years ago
Nice Job Sack

What is it about sad stories? Seems to be contageous... just a question of who caught it from whom...

Nice job and good luck!

hugo_samhugo_samover 18 years ago
Moving

Very emotional story moving from happiness, to confusion, to relieved gladness at the end. Well told.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Remember?

Do you remember those totally incomprehensible and pretentious Obsession ads from back in the 80's? This story was the literary equivalent. It's as if you said, "let's see how many symbols I can cram into this piece without having much of a connecting thread." Schmaltzy tearjerkers are fine, but this made no sense.

cookiejarcookiejarover 18 years ago
So sad ...

Christmas aways seems to bring to fore why we should count our blessings. Your story makes me sad and happy all in one. Can't ask for more than that can we? Good luck!

Cookie :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
...

*leave a rose quietly*

E

Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskinover 18 years ago
Frank Capra would have approved

A different sort of story, Sack. Thanks for the read and good luck in the contest.

Rumple

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
It's not too sweet

Sack:

It's what is. Your 9 year old acts like a 9 year old girl would act. Nonny acts very much like a lady with Alzheimer's would act. It is a true reporting of events that happen every day, and well told at that. Forget anonymous. "It" is an idiot. I have been lucky, but I've had friends who have not been as fortunate. The stories they relayed to me dove-tailed pretty well with yours, and having worked with groups that included young girls, Silver fits the mold very well. It's a masterful tale, masterfully told. This Horny 'ol Sailor Thanks You. Ronnie W.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Bittersweet...

A very bittersweet tale. When it's at its saddest, you keep reading because you need to know what happens. Once you do, you breathe a sigh of relief because it wasn't all that bad in the end. Good luck in the contest!

bluerainsbluerainsover 18 years ago
am not a big reader of

Short stories...anymore..but, this was just a wonderful tale..had a bit of Mitch Albom feel with a dimensional touch of [Robert A. Heinlein, JOB: A Comedy of Justice]. my favorite character Margarete...was a wee bit like nonny..staying in the flow of life no matter what comes...she did it with a knowing she would be ok...you touched on that inner knowing well..and the story was strong enough to hold the interest..it has the ability to draw the compassion from the heart strings as a good story should...I really enjoyed reading it. I guess I am missing a lot of good stories...thanks for sharing this with me...hugZenblue

LeBrozLeBrozover 18 years ago
~~

An excellent though bittersweet short story. Brought out the irony that with better health comes worse health ~ those who once would have died before its onset now live long enough to experience Alzheimer's. And while the ending can classify as "happy," the bleak future still remains as Nonny's mind slowly empties. Very well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
~

I'm not much for short sad stories Sack. My grandfather is suffering in the same way right now, so you did touch home...Your writing style is compeling though...well done, Sabina.

Unsung MuseUnsung Museover 18 years ago
Wow, Sack, This one really got me...

It's difficult for me to separate straight story feedback from emotion on this one. Just a few months ago, I stood with my father next to my grandma's bed – just like this – after having to move her into a home. Thank you for writing this... I promise to re-read 'as a story' once I regain my composure.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Beautiful story and beautifully told!

As I read the story I couldn't help but think of the cycle of life... that one day Silver would be the "nonny" and would have her own granddaughter!

The story had a nice flow that just sucked the reader in.

Thanks for sharing your talent.

Boxlicker101Boxlicker101over 18 years ago
Because I

am not all that far from being Nonny, this meant something to me. I do wonder why you included The Flying Nun in it though.

DarkAngel48DarkAngel48over 18 years ago
A note to sack from Erotica_Writings

Erotica is bed ridden for now, due to her recent illness, but she wanted me to let you know she loved it when she read it after I printed. Her quote "Great as always dear friend.*

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Close to home

so, its no wonder that i felt a wee bit uncomfortable reading this. The wonderful thing is that you made me feel something and that is what writing is all about.

Good luck in the contest.

v~

dcpoet44dcpoet44over 18 years ago
just good stuff....

that is universally all around us. i like the part about the warehouse scene. that was cool, because i'm a warehouse rat. you tell a good story........don

Colleen ThomasColleen Thomasover 18 years ago
Departure

this was a departure for you sack. Well written and well told.

Honey123Honey123over 18 years ago
As always

your writings leave me impressed and wanting more!

You have taken my emotions on another whirlwind ride, Sack..wonderful job...

~Honey

Aurora BlackAurora Blackover 18 years ago
Touching

Sack, your story affected me deeply. I was angered by the horrible treatment of Nonny, and I was relieved that she was reunited with her family again. Good work.

bearleebearleeover 18 years ago
Brings things back

Damn touching story Sack. This is a tough time of year for me for a couple of reasons and I guess I'm always looking for uplifting things about now. There's a line somewhere between happiness and sadness and sometimes it crosses-great story Sack-I've come to expect those of you anyway, but this one was more than a little touching!

HeavenlyOneHeavenlyOneover 18 years ago
Very touching

You have wrote this beautifully. I am well impressed. I plan on keep reading. So, I'm off to read some more of your work. Thank you for sharing your talent.

lil_elvislil_elvisover 18 years ago
Too familiar

Touched a nerve and brought back memories, both sad and happy, but wouldn't wish otherwise.

Sacred BeautySacred Beautyover 18 years ago
poignant

Beautiful and touching writing. This is the first story of yours I have read and I am compelled to read the list of them now.

Hercules_unleashedHercules_unleashedover 18 years ago
speechless

Damn it sack, I am an emotional guy and for me you have done it again, your words touched me very deeply, keep writing, your kind of talent is very special.

Peter

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 11 years ago
Nice

Just goes to show that love always survives. The mind may weaken but the heart never does. Reading this makes me want to see old episodes of "The Flying Nun."

Maybe.

robnilrobnilabout 6 years ago
troubling

sometimes I think you authors don't pay attention to what you write. you have a father of unspecified age with a 9 year old daughter and an 80 year old mother. I couldn't finish this story because the age differences between the characters was so unbelievable. I realize your writing fiction but try to make it some what realistic.

sacksackabout 6 years agoAuthor
In response to the last commenter

AUTHOR COMMENT: To the last commenter, I'm not sure you thought out your comment before submitting it. Let's say the grandmom/mom was in her late 30's when she got pregnant, not terribly uncommon. That would mean she would be 80 when her son turned 42-43. If the son in turn, had an 8 year old daughter, he would have been about 34 when she was born. What is so unbelievable about that? I should delete your comment, will leave it for the time being as I shake my head.....

chytownchytown12 months ago

*****Very entertaining short story. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous